Preview new User Interface for Core UI

Daniel Dekel

We are delighted to give you the opportunity to preview the new User Interface which we've been working on at Hornbill.

The new UI is a significant change that could affect the day-to-day working of all our users because of this we are taking the approach of allowing all users to preview the new UI and provide feedback before we permanently roll it out.

The new interface provides many enhancements and also includes many behind-the-scenes changes which will aid the maintainability and supportability of the product.

What are the main changes?

• Overall new style
  • New Notifications popup + Mentions Popup
  • New Personal Menu Layout
  • New Availability Popup
  • Improved dark/light/high contrast themes including switch without reload
  • Better support for Mobile devices (only in new views)
  • New Activity Stream (Workspace/News Feed/Timeline) - Added reply context
  • New Email View
  • New Conversations view
  • New Co-Workers View
  • New Organisations View

Soon to come…

• New Workspace View
  • New News Feed View
  • New Post View

What to expect:
We’ve been using this new UI internally for some time and overall feel it is stable and offers many usability enhancements.
Currently, the New Email View might not include some of the application's functionality such as Service Manager -> Raise Request from email or similar but these features will be available soon.
You may notice some views do not look 100% perfect in the new UI, we are still working on refining and improving many areas to make the UI as polished as possible when it launches.
The change applies only to Core-UI, not to Basic Users, and not to any other client (only on live.hornbill.com)

We hope you like our new UI and we’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Please feel free to comment on this post or if the matter is big enough you can open a new post for discussion.

Thank you very much!

• Like 4

Hi @Daniel Dekel,

Firstly, the new UI... is VERY nice. Loving the colours when navigating into a Request via Service Manager.

I do however have an issue to report.

On the Profiles screen in Platform Configuration, there are no tree-view style indents to show the hierarchy within the Request or Closure Categories.

image.png.5283383f507e2dbf2324733fa05f48eb.png

But apart from that (so far) everything looks good ;) 

Thanks,

Samuel

The new UI looks really great in dark mode. There are only a few things I've noticed so far.

image.png.dc397558908aff795bbcf87708d3bca5.png

The contrast between text and background makes it quite hard to read when the tickets are unread.

Emails sent to Hornbill are also completely unreadable.

image.png.11404168e08a0f89dea45d19e3609dd0.png

• Like 1

Hi I have noticed that in the preview when expanding the search tool magnifying glass icon the search bar covers the preview end icon - so I was initially confused as to how to end the preview.

Also in the preview the actions toolbar at the top of a request is now overlapping onto two lines - previously it was only one line.

Is there any way to return it back to just one line?

Thanks

New UI Preview:

image.thumb.png.212fc60598dd36c9cd7e6538e1e0ab72.png

Current view:

image.thumb.png.2a4cdb60ca8856570aaf7a51a4f5e4d9.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sam P said:

Just one comment from us so far...in dark mode when selecting the customer during request logging, the text colour is the same as the background
image.png.90f8e6d10daceb80f3f79383ca553360.png

Same here in Dark Mode as well

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback, we still have a number of improvements for the preview which will be released in the next few days and will go through all the issues that you've found and see what improvements can be made.

The next release should see a number of improvements to the email section, we also hope to have the Raise request/Apply to request features for the email page available soon as well.

Thanks

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't like the fact that the new UI has a collapsible search area. We use the search ALL THE TIME but this change has just given us all an additional click every time we want to search for something. This is a productivity loss for all HB customers. There is no gain to hiding the search because there is nothing else on that layer of the UI to clear space for. I request reverting this to permanently displayed search bar:

old:
image.thumb.png.eace1196ebe4b7023e312b5fa91d78d1.png

new
image.thumb.png.b2413d29e50b78842733c0750e0441cd.png

• Like 8

The Request main view has been made yet narrower when it was already too narrow in my opinion. Was width reduction in the requirements or requested by customers? If not, why has it been done?

a) Using a measure on my screen at set zoom, the Details section is 17.4cm wide in old UI and 16.4cm wide in new which is a 6% reduction in width

b) The Details box has bigger margins to which, on the same relative scale means the Old UI text width in Details was 16.4cm but it's now only 15cm which is a 9% reduction in width

Old UI:

image.thumb.png.5b27bc4f394227e8c0b2ef375d624c71.png

New UI where the words "Housing Benefit" have scrolled to the new line" because

a) the Request width has been reduced

b) the margins inside the collapsible sections have been made wider

As a result, most tickets now required excessive scrolling.

image.thumb.png.03d0089328746d7f0a40997e10d581ed.png

I request all the widths go back to at least where they were or preferably larger or intelligent width depending on browser (like most other systems in use these days).

• Like 2

Not a fan of all this unnecessary spacing in the new email view and drop-down for email templates, Just more scrolling for everyone. I am not sure HB have really thought about the amount of scrolling necessary over-all to manage tickets. The mission should be more usable information per page not less?

image.thumb.png.a12329726a6129411f7c03d1d1f10305.png

16 minutes ago, Berto2002 said:

Not a fan of all this unnecessary spacing in the new email view and drop-down for email templates, Just more scrolling for everyone. I am not sure HB have really thought about the amount of scrolling necessary over-all to manage tickets. The mission should be more usable information per page not less?

I agree that the extra spacing in the email templates list is unnecessary.  Currently we are having to scroll down the whole request to see any templates at the bottom of the list. 

Could a scroll bar be added within the template list?

Thanks

• Like 1