Reporting issues - csv output corrupted

RobW

Morning, well, afternoon now!

Has anyone else noticed issues with reports where csv files are corrupt however xls files appear ok - we have a number of scheduled reports and it appears they broke between 00:00 on the 9/11 and the next report run on 00:00 on the 10/11.

Have just tried running a couple of reports which output to csv and the output is garbled so added xls to the output formats of these problem reports and once again, the xls output is fine.

image.png.023818bfbb89a3c139f23b44fa75552c.png

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi, Yes, I agree with this. Was just about to make my own post, as its something that the Hornbill developers need to look into.

From the reports I've set up I've found that 6th November ran okay, but 7th November and onwards haven't been correct. Looking into the CSV in Notepad, it looks like the text delimiter is missing for several fields, so now any free-text containing commas, tabs, or spaces will format as such (and not be in one cell). The specific fields that aren't working for me are Resolution, Source Type, Source Sub Type, Within Resolve Time, but I'm sure there are probably other too.

Kind of feels like there's been a system update that hasn't gone right, but I'm happy to be told otherwise as long as I can get this fixed!

• Like 1

Thanks @Steve G, but still getting 'DataFormat.Error: Unable to translate bytes [E2] at index 24 from specified code page to Unicode.'

I have install 'readxl' package as per the above and select both CSV and XLSX output format on the report.

I also tried with on XLSX output format, which didn't return any data

Regards,

Joyce

Hi @Joyce,

That's likely due to there being a UTF8 character stream in the report output that sits outside of the Unicode codepage - Power BI doesn't play nicely with all UTF8 characters (unlike pretty much every other system!). I've added some extra code into the script to do the conversion to allow Power BI to import the data, v1.8.0 is on Github now.

Note: as per the instructions, you will need to change the csvEncoding variable to fix this issue, a value of ISO-8859-1 will probably do it.

Cheers,

Steve

We are having a problem with our CSV exports too, but this is with the goHornbillDataExport tool, so I don't think the xls workaround will work for us. Do any of the developers have an estimated time this might take to fix? Would be good to know if we need to look into alternatives or wait it out. 

Hi @StephC,

I've just released version 1.6.0 of the Hornbill Data Export Tool, which supports the use of the XLSX files from reports, as well as the existing CSV file support. It can be downloaded from Github, and is documented on the Hornbill Wiki. Specifically, look for UseXLSX in the Configuration section, and make sure you switch XLSX on in the report config > Output Formats > Additional Data Formats:

image.png

Cheers,

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

I've just released version 1.6.0 of the Hornbill Data Export Tool, which supports the use of the XLSX files from reports, as well as the existing CSV file support. It can be downloaded from Github, and is documented on the Hornbill Wiki. Specifically, look for UseXLSX in the Configuration section, and make sure you switch XLSX on in the report config > Output Formats > Additional Data Formats:

Thanks, Steve! Will look at implementing that.