'Hornbill Today' View

Gerry

I look forward to testing this thoroughly but a couple of initial comments.

1. I am a not seeing any approvals or activities in the widgets despite having some in the regular "my activities" sidebar.

2. Any way to remove the background image? I would prefer the look and feel to match the rest of the apps clean styling. 

3. Would be good to have a little more info in the recently viewed widget. I realise this is difficult due to the differing types of documents referenced but would be good to see, request summary text, Activity title etc.

• Like 1

Guest Ehsan

Hi @Keith,

Regarding the background image, it is picked up from the Service Portal configuration within the Admin Tool. Are you suggesting that you've blanked out the Home Page Image field and it is still showing a default image?

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 09.20.31.png

26 minutes ago, Ehsan said:

Hi @Keith,

Regarding the background image, it is picked up from the Service Portal configuration within the Admin Tool. Are you suggesting that you've blanked out the Home Page Image field and it is still showing a default image?

Hi Ehsan, 

No, I do have an image set in the service portal, but the implementation of the image is very different here. In the service portal it forms the background of the Bulletin area, whereas here it fills the full page. We may need different image option from service portal.

1 hour ago, Darren Rose said:

First impressions are good, Gerry. We'll get the teams using it the next few days and share any feedback

thanks

Darren 

Hi Darren,

ok thank you. As a reminder, it is a starting point, once your team have a feel for it we are expecting lots of suggestions as to what content would be useful here :)

Gerry

1 minute ago, Gerry said:

we are expecting lots of suggestions as to what content would be useful here :)

@Gerry just a quick suggestion, if we could select what activities are shown rather than just todays. Maybe add a filter option so you can show just your own, your teams, past due, upcoming etc. 

Still, looking good so far. 

All,

With regards to the background image, this was always going to be a challenge, selecting the right image is difficult because it really requires an image that works almost perfectly, finding such images are time-consuming and difficult.  We will look at what options we have to provide a few "stock" images you can choose from, and of course, provide a method for turning off the image too. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. 

@Daniel Dekel fyi..

Gerry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Munns said:

@Gerry just a quick suggestion, if we could select what activities are shown rather than just todays. Maybe add a filter option so you can show just your own, your teams, past due, upcoming etc. 

Still, looking good so far. 

Dan, I think that is probably possible, I am not sure if the individual widgets have the concept of configuration, but there is no reason for there not to be this kind of capability. Thanks for the suggestion

Gerry

18 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

@Keith I have just changed the background colour for images to white to better blend with the rest of the site. (although I might change it to black as I think it looks better)

Thanks for the tip @Dan Munns will have a play, but need to be careful not to screwup my live service portal.

As we are not currently using any self service portals we have not set up a Logo Image. When we log into the Hornbill Today view we see the following.

today.PNG.5efdba80e0823c7064486c95d402d4c0.PNG

Can anyone tell me where the colour settings are to change the background to white. 

Hello,

People have been coming to me with issues using Hornbill Today in IE11...

IE11:
IE11.thumb.png.b56f7d4e5d167be1d1b5954f8387b2cd.png

Chrome:Chrome.thumb.png.f621fb7e44b87f8525f2d7c7e1238080.png

Otherwise it looks really nice in Chrome and we are looking forward to additional nodes that can be added in.

Feature Request:

Can we have to the ability to fine-tune the height and width to half and quarter sizes? For example in the Chrome screenshot it would be good if the Recently Viewed was narrower to clear any white spaces on the right. The same goes for the Favourites... if I were to expand it down by one, there is a lot of white space that would not appear if we were able to expand by 1/2 instead of the fixed height.

Height 1:
701280060_Height1.thumb.png.f0e53b47b599645ac8d8f6c0eff24b21.png

Height 2:
1717419618_Height2.thumb.png.071b9e4af24f19f88891f930d96c0c5f.png

We need a Height 1.5 (or half height) to remove that white-space which I will be unlikely to fill up with additional favourites.

Keep up the great work!

Samuel

• Like 1

Would it be possible to minimise a widget, if there is nothing relevant for that day? i.e. if I have no approvals today, I can minimise the widget, creating more space for other information, without having the go into the configure options and make it smaller? 

Thanks

@Darren Rose, the problem minimizing the widget if nothing is in the list is that the layout can change and jump up and down an side to side when something appears based on some event. Remember that the layout is designed by you deciding where things will go and what size they have.

@samwoo, thanks for the feedback. IE11 is kind of a problem because the type of layout used here does not work for that browser. There is a fallback to what you have now so you can still use it. 
Try designing the layout in IE11 rather than Chrome. That way you can make sure it looks good there, perhaps it will be more basic but will work. 
One of the things you will not be able to do in IE11 is have in the same row a column with one item and another column with two vertical items. Instead you should use one item per row per column (hope I was clear :-( )

Thanks,

Daniel.

26 minutes ago, Daniel Dekel said:

Try designing the layout in IE11 rather than Chrome

Unfortunately pressing the arrow buttons to change the size of the boxes in IE11 doesn't work :(

I've heard of sites de-supporting IE11 and I'm not surprised as it's an old browser and has less features and will eventually be desupported one way or another. Is this what's happening here? If so I can let my colleagues know to use Google Chrome. (Which is what I prefer to use anyway at least until Edge is allowed to be used in the Business)

I understand what you are saying, columns cannot be merged/split in IE11.

As for non-IE11 browsers, I wondered if columns and rows can be individually customized, so for example the height or width can be changed maybe by certain fixed % - 25% 50% 75% 100%? For reference when I say 100% I do not mean the full width/height of the container, but for size of the individual card within a cell within the table. If the card should be set to the full width/height of the container, then the arrows that are currently available should be used to do this.

Thanks!

Samuel

Thanks @Daniel Dekel,

I hope you don't mind but I had a sneaky F12 peek at how it works, what an amazing feature - something I never knew existed :O

I had a little play and can imagine it being troublesome if some sort of feature to tweak the number of cells a row/column can "span" but I managed to achieve something that is sort of what I was requesting for

See below - as you can see some of the widgets are a bit narrower. I can understand why this might be something to not be looked at due to it's complexity but what an amazing feature nonetheless.

columns.thumb.png.5ce4523f05d5ca35345299ccc7695755.png

(This screenshot is from Chrome :wub:)

Thank you for looking into the issues with the arrows not working in IE11

Samuel