More custom fields please?

Alisha

On 3/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, samwoo said:

I also struggle with remembering what field is being used for what across all services

@samwoo bite the bullet as I did: create a spreadsheet, list all your BPMs down the left and all the possible custom fields as columns and go through every BPM and capture the values. Honestly, since I have done that, I use this resource every time I edit a BPM and it has significantly reduced my error and rework rate.

image.thumb.png.d2f334bb3aeae35010e151914cb4b7de.png

As an alternate suggestion, if Hornbill were to allow the existing fields to be more flexible in their type it would also help. For example, I mostly use the text unlimited and text 255 fields and least the integer fields. So allowing a few integer ones to be integer or varchar255 would help also.

Options I am considering in this space:

• concatenation. I did have a habit of mapping IC inputs into individual fields. But I have started to rationalise and concatenate those that aren't relevant to Expressions or Reporting. E.g. we had a form that asked 3 questions about Azure AD and SSO. I now map all 3 into one custom field rather than consume 3 fields
  • recycling custom fields within BPM. Often I use a custom field just to pass a value from one stage to the next in a BPM so after that next stage, the field is redundant and can be re-purposed. E.g. use a full text field to concatenate multiple PCF entries to form an email at the start and then re-use that field later to concatenate the work done for a summary to the user
  • spawning other Requests for certain aspects and those other Requests can then have their own custom fields. For example, we kind of ran out of custom on New Starters so we now spawn-off Mobile phone Requests at the start into their own ticket so they can have a fresh set
  • General re-think about not storing transient data. I probably store too much so I have started using PCF answers more in expressions rather than storing data in custom fields to make choices where the information is only used in the BPM itself
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much for the additional custom fields! That's really going to help us.

Where can we find what custom fields we can use please? I couldn't see them in the Requests Table. Is there another table we should be looking at?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Alisha said:

Thank you so much for the additional custom fields! That's really going to help us.

Where can we find what custom fields we can use please? I couldn't see them in the Requests Table. Is there another table we should be looking at?

I haven't logged on yet, but are they in requests extended?

• Like 1

Yes @samwoo: h_sm_requests_extended

I make that 40 extra custom fields available in the Update Request >Custom Fields

image.thumb.png.fa53afe9511db18371c1b917e4de76d9.png

image.thumb.png.eeb459f365da645b101a7ee9400f4619.png

image.thumb.png.c474d9001d479fd55131706e62677f5b.png

image.png.9e158b1c919d65145f83c9b5b70819a2.png

Minor suggestion to Hornbill that it would be useful to have the chars/type on all the fields in this list as a reminder. I think the missing piece is for A to O and 41 to 60 to be appended with "(VARCHAR/255)" or similar

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 09:58, Berto2002 said:

Minor suggestion to Hornbill that it would be useful to have the chars/type on all the fields in this list as a reminder. I think the missing piece is for A to O and 41 to 60 to be appended with "(VARCHAR/255)" or similar

+1