Split Measure 'Title' into 'Measure Name' and 'Display Title''

At the moment you have a 'Title' field in the Measure which is both the actual name of the measure and also the display title of the said measure.

When you have a large volume of measures like we do, we use a structured naming convention to organise them, however this means that when the measure is displayed it has the same name, which is not ideal. 
image.thumb.png.212e29c78e8d7d3417a7d9dcb413e4ba.png

Therefore can the current field be duplicated, so there is a 'Measure Name' and 'Title', with the latter the display title that is used on display. Initial for existing measures, they would be set to the same value.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 years later...

I'm just bringing together a dashboard for a high profile go-live and also have the same issue with my Widget naming conventions....

+1 for me please

The ideal would be to have a separate Label / name for each Measure / Widget that can be viewer-friendly.

• Thanks 1

@Martyn Houghton

This is being discussed, but from what I can see from your comments, the "Display Name" of a measure which is presented on a Widget should be a property of the widget and not the measure it self, that would make more sense give that "the measure" is a data source whereas the "widget" is the presentation of that data? Does that make sense?

Gerry

• Thanks 1

@Gerry

The Widgets do not give you the option to rename them either. Having a separate Measure Name and Display Title will make it easier to organise the measures as well as being able to control their display.

As we run multiple Service Desk/Domains on our instance and we are approaching 1,400 individual measures, therefore having the ability to structure them using Measure Name without affecting the Display Title would be a great help.

Cheers

Martyn

image.png.f5262dd8bc54c33f8b6db7b877488916.png

@Martyn Houghton

"The Widgets do not give you the option to rename them either"

Thats exactly right.   When I look at what you are asking for, you appear to be asking for one thing but trying to solve another (or both) things along the way.  From a design point of view, the measures can be thought of as named data sources, and in themselves they have no notion of presentation.  The measure(s) are generally presented in widgets, so from a design point of view the correct place to add this would be to add an option to set the display name of the measure at the point of including it in the widget, that way the title being used for the measure is defined in the configuration of the widget, and not the measure its self. 

However, there appears to be a secondary problem that you are also trying to indirectly solve, that is, you have what seems to be a very large number of measures, you have, because of this, opted to adopt a naming convention to help you organise the measures, which mean you can no longer use the measures own name for display purposes - is that fair? 

The system where you define/manage measures was never really intended to have such a large list of 1400+ items, I am actually surprised anyone would have that many, I am not surprised the the system can operate with such a large number, but from a management perspective I can see why that is so difficult to maintain.  This though is a problem that is distinctly separate from the problem of the display name of measures. 

I assume though that its the display name that is the priority here?  I am going to have someone look at the possibility of extending the widget config to optionally include a display name for each measure added to that widget. 

Gerry

@Gerry

13 hours ago, Gerry said:

However, there appears to be a secondary problem that you are also trying to indirectly solve, that is, you have what seems to be a very large number of measures, you have, because of this, opted to adopt a naming convention to help you organise the measures, which mean you can no longer use the measures own name for display purposes - is that fair? 

That's correct.

I assume though that its the display name that is the priority here?  I am going to have someone look at the possibility of extending the widget config to optionally include a display name for each measure added to that widget. 

That would be a great help. @Lyonel raised an enhancement to group analytic objects via category a while back. 

you have what seems to be a very large number of measures

We have multiple KPI's from a individual analyst level upwards through services, domains, service desks and corporately, so the number of individual measures multiplies very quickly.

Cheers

Martyn