Access to Service Catalog Items

Dan Munns

Hi @James Ainsworth

Can you confirm if dev hav started on this yet? 

I have a project on at the moment which is going to involve creation of about 30 CIs which will need seperate subscriber groups. The only alternative is to have 30 Services with 1 CI in each which I obviously don't want to do.

If this has been started I can at least manage the PMs expectations.

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As @mojahidm mentions above this is actualy a blocker for us going live. Our planned go live date for our UK office is April 25th, however that is not going to be possible without this in place, so we need to know if we should change our internal expectations. We are working with external customers (organisations and contacts) and not all contacts are authorised to raise service requests with us from a contractual point of view, so we really cannot proceed without this.

@Cizzling @mojahidm

As per @James Ainsworth previous response this has made it into our 90-day window, but that is sometimes (but mostly not) subject to change. As it only just made it in there, it could be anywhere in that 90 day window so I would be cautious if your specific requirement demands this specific capability for your UK office go-live, I would certainly reset your internal expectations. 

We don't like selling on futures because it creates an environment of demand and pressure which is not conducive to innovation, this is why we keep our roadmap flexible, but in exchange for being afforded that flexibility we reciprocate with a much higher rate of enhancements that is typical for our industry.  

Gerry

Thanks @Gerry, we appreciate the challenge since we work in a SW company as well. :) Just wanted to make sure you were aware of why this is very important to us. The only other option we have identified is to create extra services for these catlogue items and that is going to be a really bad workaround with a lot of extra work for our super user group. I much prefer to wait for your solution, if that comes within a reasonable timeframe for us.

2 hours ago, Cizzling said:

Thanks @Gerry, we appreciate the challenge since we work in a SW company as well. :) Just wanted to make sure you were aware of why this is very important to us. The only other option we have identified is to create extra services for these catlogue items and that is going to be a really bad workaround with a lot of extra work for our super user group. I much prefer to wait for your solution, if that comes within a reasonable timeframe for us.

Of course, I understand and I am very keen to do what we can to support you in being more successful using Hornbill, I just wanted to set realistic expectations because I know how important these things can be.  My ethical stance is to never sell futures and try not to let customers bank on something that we might not be able to deliver in a specific timeframe. I am sure though reading this thread the product teams here at Hornbill will do what they can to help. 

Its nice to know you are expanding the use of Hornbill, that means we are doing stuff right I hope :) 

Gerry

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm pleased to let you know that a feature that allows you to control visibility of the different Request Catalog Items has been provided with the latest update.  On each individual Request Catalog Item you can enable or disable visibility based on each of the subscribed users or groups.

image.png

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davidrb84 said:

If this button isn't visible, is there a setting to enable it?

If the button isn't there you have no named subscribers (service is set to be used by all customers) I believe. 

I don't think there is a setting to turn this on.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:10 PM, davidrb84 said:

Can anyone at hornbill confirm this is intentional?

Hi @davidrb84

Yes, this is intentional.  The visibility on each Request Catalog Item needs to keep in sync with changes to the overall Service subscriptions.  As users or groups are added or removed as subscribers to the service we needed to ensure that there wasn't any conflicts where a user or group was removed from a service subscription but remained on a Request Catalog Item.  We also needed to make sure that if a new subscription was added that the user or group wasn't unintentionally given visibility of a Request Catalog that they shouldn't have visibility to. 

In the case of a service that is available for everyone, we don't maintain a list of every user and/or customer that is in Hornbill against that service therefore we have no list to select from to turn on or off the visibility of a Request Catalog Item.  We considered being able to give visibility of a Request Catalog Item to individual users and groups that were not listed in the Service Subscription using a 'Search and add', but this would have created a big challenge with keeping the visibility in sync with the subscriptions. Because of this, we don't show this button when a service is available to everyone.

So, in the case where there are users, groups, contacts, and organisations that are subscribed to a service, the visibility of a Request Catalog item will use this same list to allow you to give or take away visibility.  When a subscription is removed from the service, anywhere that subscription is used in a Request Catalog Item will also be removed.

I hope that make sense.  Over time I'm sure that we will find further enhancements are added to provide more options.

Regards,

James