Access to Service Catalog Items

Dan Munns

Hi all, 

I know that this isn't possible at the moment so I am hoping I can raise an enhancement request here.  

I would like to be able to control access to service catalog items on a per item basis rather than at service level. 

In our scenario, the service desk will be responsible for triage and resolution of the ticket but not everyone in the business uses the platform and so only a select subset of users need to be able to see / raise tickets. 

At the moment I am having to create new services and allow access to the users plus add the service desk as the supporting team where as I would like to be able to have the catalog item under our incidents tile but only be accessible be the approved users. 

I am trying to not have lots of different services all supported by the same team.

I was thinking that if the catalog item isn't modified to explicitly mention a supporting team or subscribed users the service options take precedent but you could modify the supporting teams and subscribers should the need arise. 

Anyone got any input / feedback on this? 

Thanks 

Dan  

Hi Dan

I am not sure I understand what you are asking for here.  You say  

but not everyone in the business uses the platform and so only a select subset of users need to be able to see / raise tickets

are you talking about people via the service portal? Can you expand on your scenario. the system is designed to allow anyone to raise requests via the service portal if they are subscribed to that service.  I am struggling to understand what you are trying to achieve from your explanation. 

[edit] a good way of describing your requirement is to use "roles" and explain you business need.  For example,  "As a portal user I would like to ...... by being able to ..... so I can achieve .....", that sort of thing... this is often easier to understand than a product change prescription

Gerry

Hi @Gerry
Apologies, I just had a brain dump straight after a meeting and may have just written rubbish. 

So a bit of context. All of our users can access the service portal and raise incident tickets. A select group of people (line managers and delegates) are in a subscriber group which allows them to see and raise service requests which is a separate service. We are adding a new software platform to our environment which only a select number of users will be able to use and therefore raise support tickets for. All the tickets will be triaged at least by the service desk. 

Rather than adding the platform to the service portal as a completely new service to raise tickets against for those small number of users it would be cleaner to add the catalog item into the existing categories of incident and service request but only allow visibility to those users (currently not possible as users are subscribed to a service as a whole rather than individual catalog items). 

So our current incident service has 'Raise an Incident' and 'Password Reset' which is available to all. What I want to do is add 'Software application issues' but only have that catalog item visible to the users of that system on the portal thereby not creating a whole new service for what will be a single incident catalog item. 

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

So its supposed to be the same for when I log into the forum right?

No. You can set it to be the same if you like but they are not necessarily the same.

When new users are created, for forums the user creates his own account where he/she creates own username and password. On customer success portal, the user is created by us. The username is always the email address and there is a random password generated. Each portal users have the option to change this password at any time afterward.

@Martyn Houghton all our customers have access to our customer success portal and all designated contacts have a portal account created when they subscribe to Hornbill. The option to log a request is not available on the success portal, is on our main website via the support request web form (the portal has a link to this but not a direct way to log a support request). On the main website, there will be indeed various options available depending on success plan subscription (e.g. only Hornbill Premier Success and above subscribers will have the option to log a normal request. All our customers, however, have the option - recently - to log an emergency request).

• Hornbill website - Support Request webform - log a formal request with us
  • Customer Success Portal - access to requests that have been logged, options to manage your account (contact details, subscription, etc.), options to request various expert services, options to view existing defects and planned changes.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Alexander
On 10/9/2017 at 6:41 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post.  We do have some planned work in the backlog for this type of functionality. I'll make sure that you are added to the change so that we keep you posted as it progresses.

Regards,

James

Hello

Is there any news on this update please? it's something which would be useful to us....

thanks

:( we are finding we want the ability to subscribe at catalogue item level more and more so it's a real shame this isn't in development yet as we are having to create more Services to compensate which makes our homepage more cluttered. 

@James Ainsworth it would be really helpful if you were able to give some timelines for development so expectations can be managed, thanks

Sam

5 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

:( we are finding we want the ability to subscribe at catalogue item level more and more so it's a real shame this isn't in development yet as we are having to create more Services to compensate which makes our homepage more cluttered. 

@James Ainsworth it would be really helpful if you were able to give some timelines for development so expectations can be managed, thanks

Sam

+1

Hi @SJEaton and @Dan Munns

Our changes work through a process of being designed and planned to a point where it then goes into a 90-day queue. Once a change is in this queue, we look to have it available within this 90 days.

This change has made it to the 90 day queue but development work has not yet started.  This suggests that the timeline for this change is to have it available over the next 3 months.

We have hundreds of great feature requests and each couple of weeks,  we are able to provide new features that are available to everyone.  We put a lot of effort into assessing and planning these requests to provide a good spread of new functionality that supports our different customers.  

As you have done here, please keep active on the forums whether it be suggesting a new features or promoting something that has already been asked for.

Regards,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1