Automatically close tickets in the resolved state

nasimg

At the moment we have set incidents to stop at the resolved state, this is to allow customers to reopen them if the issue is not fixed, but the down side of this is the tickets stay in the resolved state.

I would want them to eventually go to the closed state after 2 weeks of resolving – is there this functionality in the business process (suspend node until condition met?).

@NadeemMazhar We raised under the post the below the possibility of the Wait for Request Closure node to have an expiry timer which would then allow the automatic closure of the request by the BPM, but this has not been looked at yet. Similarly BPM workflow does not currently cope with the re-opening of a request.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Nasim,

There is a BPM Automated Task for closing requests after a time period.  I would be interested to know if you have tried using this.  I am aware that there are some challenges such as if a request is reopened after the "Close after period" as been set that it is still possible that the request will be automatically closed.  With this in mind it still may not be the complete solution for you.

We are currently identifying where we can improve the current 2 stage closure environment with an additional Suspend and Wait for Status Change automated BPM task along with improving the existing Close After Period automated BPM task.  We will keep you posted on the progress and let you know when it is moved to our development team.

Regards,

James

bpmcloserequest.png

ClosurePeriodMap.PNG

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I'm trying to achieve this too. I want to set resolved calls to closed after two days. I'm currently going through switch-on and want to be sure that I can replicate this setting from Supportworks, as it is one we would like to keep.

I tried using the "Close request after period of time" task mentioned above but it didn't work for me. I set it to 1 minute, and set a checkpoint straight after to prove that it had run. On the test call, the checkpoint was immediately ticked and the status remained at "Resolved". Could I be doing something wrong? I've since deleted all the nodes, but I'll recreate them and capture a screenshot if I'm not being clear.

I'm going to try the suggestion by @Victor in the meantime.

I don't think this is fixed yet - @James Ainsworth sorry I missed replying to your comment. We can't risk closing a ticket that the customer reopened - that would annoy them too much. So I'll wait till we have something that takes this scenario into account.

Thanks Nasim for your post.  I did test it myself and I was also unable to get the auto-closing working.   I would like to mention however that we are soon to start some work on improving the two stage closure aspect of a request at which time we can look into the automatic closing.  This planned work also includes providing a solution for re-opened requests to prevent any auto-closure while they are in an open state.  I'm hoping that this will be with development in the next few weeks.  I'll post an update once I have more.

Regards,

James

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to update this post.  We have introduced a new Suspend and Wait for Status Change BPM operation that includes an expiry option which can be used to automatically close requests. Documentation can be found here in the Suspend section of the Service Manager Business Process Workflow page.

Regards, 

James