Enhancement - Display "update custom field" nodes in a different colour

HGrigsby

Would it be possible to have the Update Custom Fields nodes in a different colour or be able to set the background colour of the node ourselves.

We use more and more custom fields in our workflows and have some processes that update the custom fields several times during in each stage and it would be helpful to be able to easily spot each update custom field node. 

I already name them something like “CF - E Change Type N Affected Env” but it would really help to be easily able to spot them.

Thanks

Helen

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any plans to offer changed or custom colours - an update custom fields node is simply a Hornbill Automation with a particular combination of parameters after all.

I would suggest using Stage Notes to highlight specific nodes of interest if this is required.

1 hour ago, Steve Giller said:

I would suggest using Stage Notes to highlight specific nodes of interest if this is required.

Hi @Steve Giller  I already do that and have all the CFs captured in stage notes and some others through the workflow, it is just being able to see them easily when editing the workflow or trying to troubleshoot an issue with it.

image.png.6d79dc3328be69ccee1e92bafd790156.png

On 27/03/2024 at 22:50, Steve Giller said:

I was thinking of something like this:
image.png

This could be as well as listing the fields in their own Notes separately.

I'm not sure this approach is practical when business processes are large and/or subject to quite a lot change. It feels like a bit of a hack.

I think being able to set a colour for each node is a great idea. 

Please could this be marked as an enhancement?

• Like 2

We prepend emoji to the node display name which helps us to quickly identify what that node is doing.

For example, we use 🔶 to indicate when fields are being set in a node (either system or custom) and ⏱️ to indicate where SLA timers are set, amongst others.

• Like 2

+1 updating custom fields is a vital and very specific type of Hornbill Automation. I too would like them drawn-out into a different colour or shape or something, especially as there are now about 80 of them and finding them quickly in workflow is critical to troubleshooting, testing and change.

I sympathise with @Steve Giller point about this being one of *many* types of HA. Perhaps Gareth's idea for icons could be taken onboard to have an icon for each type?

In other news, @Gareth Cantrell, nice but how? I tried things like:

• U+1F10A
  • (^O^)

... but they just show the text...

image.png.74a8b4817d738089dc0c129d1f4bae9d.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Berto2002 said:

But would be even better if the product did that for us with a nice set of pre-agreed icons for each different type of HA. @HGrigsby?

+1

I think maybe all the Standard Tasks should have (where applicable) pre-defined icons as well. Imagine placing a Start Timer node, and seeing a clock icon next to it at the top-left... (but allow the ability to override the icon.) or if placing a task with an expiry timer on it, a small hourglass icon appears at the bottom left)

• Like 2