External Ref No. Field

Lauren

Hi,

I am currently looking into our incident process in Service Manager. Sometimes, faults need to be referred to third parties. We need to record the reference our third parties give us - I see that there is a "External Ref No." field within the "Details" section, which is editable throughout the incident lifetime.

Is there any way that this can be populated automatically? I.e. if an analyst enters the third party ref in the call diary update or via an activity, it automatically enters that same reference within the "External Ref No." field.

I have tried adding in a suspend node, where it waits for the external ref, but it doesn't seem to prompt the analyst for the information (i.e. with a suspend and wait for owner, it'll prompt the analyst to assign to someone by changing the tab). I am trying to make it difficult for analysts to bypass this stage, as this is important information.

Any ideas are welcome!

Lauren

Hi @Lauren

This should be possible for you now using an activity outcome and activity custom fields and then injecting the value into the external reference field.

Step one - Ensure this system setting is enabled.

image.png

Step two -  On an activity outcome, add a field to prompt for the external reference number (make it mandatory if required)

image.png

This will ensure when 'in my example' they choose the activity outcome - Pass to Supplier, they will be prompted to provide an external reference number

Step three - Follow the activity with a decision node, and off one of the branches (pass to supplier outcome) use the Request > Update Request > External Reference option, and in the external reference field, use the variable picker - choose Task and scroll down and find the custom question you had defined and inject that into the field

image.png

Hopefully this should give you what you are after

Steve

27 minutes ago, Steven Boardman said:

Hi @Lauren

This should be possible for you now using an activity outcome and activity custom fields and then injecting the value into the external reference field.

Step one - Ensure this system setting is enabled.

image.png 

Step two -  On an activity outcome, add a field to prompt for the external reference number (make it mandatory if required)

image.png

This will ensure when 'in my example' they choose the activity outcome - Pass to Supplier, they will be prompted to provide an external reference number

Step three - Follow the activity with a decision node, and off one of the branches (pass to supplier outcome) use the Request > Update Request > External Reference option, and in the external reference field, use the variable picker - choose Task and scroll down and find the custom question you had defined and inject that into the field

image.png

Hopefully this should give you what you are after

Steve

Great, thanks Steve! Works perfectly :-)

• 3 weeks later...

@Paul Trenter absolutely. 

If you have a custom form and custom question on that form in progressive capture to capture the external reference number, when your business process starts, if you add the following nodes this is what you will need.

1.  Use an automated task > Requests > Get Request Information > Progressive Capture Answers

2. Use another automated task > Requests > Update Request > External Reference  

Set the External Reference attribute to manual and then use the Variable Picker in this field to pick the answer to the progressive capture question in which you captured the external reference number.

image.png

Hope that helps

Steve

Thanks @Steven Boardman, that's what I was looking for.  One more question on the variable to be chosen.  Our Business Processes are linked with different Progressive Capture catalog items.  Therefore I can't set that variable to one of the Prog Cap answers as it wouldn't work if other Prog Caps are used.   Is it possible to set that Business Process to pick the Field ID, and then I could set the same Field ID in the different Prog Caps?  If that makes sense.

@Paul Trenter hmmm if that is the case, then it might be a little more involved. External Reference number is currently not a field you can directly map to from the custom progressive capture forms. 

What you can do (a little long winded), is map the answer to your various progressive capture external reference flows to one of your custom fields on the request 

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Mapping_Fields_from_Customised_Forms

Bear in mind using the form designer you can mark this custom field as not being visible in the request details so you won't see it.

Once you have this mapped, in your business process you can do the following:

1.  Use an automated task > Requests > Get Request Information > Request Details

2. Use another automated task > Requests > Update Request > External Reference - use the variable picker to inject the value from the chosen custom field into the external reference field. 

This should work albeit a little more long winded but will allow you to map your external reference number question in various progressive capture flows to the same custom field and then copy this across.

Ideally we'll add mapping to the external reference field, but in the absence of this now, hopefully the above will work for you

Thanks @Steven Boardman

So what I've done is set the field ID for the question to h_custom_a_custom_o

Then, on the 2nd automated task to Update Request ID I've picked the variable Custom field A, so &[global["flowcode"]["customFieldA"]]

Once I Validate, I see the warning That nodes have invalid variable references.

Oh, I did test too but it didn't populate the External Ref field

• 2 years later...
On 9/17/2018 at 7:22 AM, Lauren said:

Can you do this with workaround/root cause details on Known Error records too?

Hi Lauren,

As of Service Manager build 2164, there are now Hornbill Automations that are available to update the workaround and root cause on Known Error records. More information can be found here.

Regards,

James