Add a template attachment during the BPM

we do have a complex onboarding process and this of course reflects to the BPM, we do have also many different teams working on the request and we would like to collect user's informations like user account, email address, user licenses and other useful stuff into a document, so at this poit it might be very usefull to have the template document already available into the request and this should be easily edited by each teams appending the infos.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

@Giuseppe Iannacone are you familiar with using the Hornbill iBridge?  if so there is already an option which allows you to automatically link a document from document manager to a request as part of a business process.  So if you store your template document in document manager and then in your business process you can use the following option to have the template automatically linked to the request, those working on the request can take the template, add their details and save as either a new document and linked to the request or as an attachment (rather than editing the template document itself)

image.png

Where Document is is like: DOC20180500000090 (i.e not the full URL path)

If you haven't used the ibridge before have a read of the following which will include how to set up a keysafe which you will need to enter in the Request Credentials field

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_iBridge

And specifically what you need for Hornbill integration calls

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_Integration_Bridge

Hope that helps

Steve

On 5/26/2018 at 5:19 PM, Steven Boardman said:

@Giuseppe Iannacone are you familiar with using the Hornbill iBridge?  if so there is already an option which allows you to automatically link a document from document manager to a request as part of a business process.  So if you store your template document in document manager and then in your business process you can use the following option to have the template automatically linked to the request, those working on the request can take the template, add their details and save as either a new document and linked to the request or as an attachment (rather than editing the template document itself)

image.png

Where Document is is like: DOC20180500000090 (i.e not the full URL path)

If you haven't used the ibridge before have a read of the following which will include how to set up a keysafe which you will need to enter in the Request Credentials field

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_iBridge

And specifically what you need for Hornbill integration calls

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_Integration_Bridge

Hope that helps

Steve

This looks to be exactly what i was looking for, I will give it a try and eventually i will ask some suggestions in case of need, but for now, THANK YOU!

@Steven Boardman i was able to link a document with ibridge... but the result is no what i was expecting...

image.png.37cd09fec5e11c2cda170c186d48bb39.png

I now see the section documents, but how can be done what you stated before?

"those working on the request can take the template, add their details and save as either a new document and linked to the request or as an attachment (rather than editing the template document itself) "

@Giuseppe Iannacone the linking of your template document in document manager provides the request with the template document they need to use on the request.  But as it is the template you won't want them adding details to the actual template. 

But they can open the document and download it. 

Once downloaded they can add details and upload as an attachment to the request, however - if you have multiple teams needing to add their own details to the document, you may end up with multiple attachments of the same document (as each team takes the last attachment, adds their info and saves a new version and then attaches that).

The alternative is they download the template document and create a New Document Manager Document for that request which they link to the request, sharing the document with those who need to work on it.  The teams can then open the document from the link, add their info, and upload their version of the document to the document and all revisions will be help in the document with only a single link to the document in the request document section, rather than multiple attachments as each team adds their info and saves and uploads a new attachment.

I hope that makes sense

Steve

@Giuseppe Iannacone the linking of your template document in document manager provides the request with the template document they need to use on the request.  But as it is the template you won't want them adding details to the actual template. 

But they can open the document and download it. 

Once downloaded they can add details and upload as an attachment to the request, however - if you have multiple teams needing to add their own details to the document, you may end up with multiple attachments of the same document (as each team takes the last attachment, adds their info and saves a new version and then attaches that).

The alternative is they download the template document and create a New Document Manager Document for that request which they link to the request, sharing the document with those who need to work on it.  The teams can then open the document from the link, add their info, and upload their version of the document to the document and all revisions will be help in the document with only a single link to the document in the request document section, rather than multiple attachments as each team adds their info and saves and uploads a new attachment.

I hope that makes sense

Steve

Hi @Giuseppe Iannacone i understand, i am not sure there is another option in the BPM to add the template.

One other suggestion i could make is, if in your process you have tasks to complete the template, and the template is held elsewhere - could you include a hyperlink to the template document in the first task details using wiki markup? so you are at least pointing them to the document even if it is not actually attached to the request initially?

Something like below:

image.png

Steve

• 1 year later...

@Keith the team have taken a look and there is nothing really which should be providing slow performance here, performing this via the iBridge.  We are not doing anything with the doc directly, simply updating the database, with the link, in the same way as if you were linking a doc via the UI on the request. Do you notice any delay doing this via the UI on a request?  perhaps you can let us know if this persists, and then we maybe able to look into any other contributing factors around the wider process etc.  

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I know this thread is a bit old but I am also trying to link a document in the BPM and have followed the instructions above

I get an error which isn't very helpful

image.png.b60165bb131c874bb2fd6330848d48fe.png 

Does that mean anything to anyone?  

image.png.194ea8533c05a129e29511cef71d0c5b.png

Hoping I might have missed something easy

Thanks Helen 

Hi @HGrigsby

Your configuration looks correct, and i have just tested on my instance and it is working as expected.

The error message would indicate an issue with the Keysafe credentials which you are using.

Could you check that the InstanceID is set correctly for the keysafe you are using in the Request Credentials - it can be your Case Sensitive instanceID 

And that the APIKey is correct

image.png

One of the team is updating the error message so it will be more helpful in the future.

Let us know how you get on

Steve

@Steven Boardman  More progress - can now get it to work.  

I think it might have been the permissions on the document as once I shared it with admin it appeared.  

I've just found out though that you get an error is you use copy request with the document added - have to remember to unlink it before clicking on copy request

Helen 

doc already there.PNG