Emails not being sent from Horbill

lee mcdermott

Hi 

we have a current issue where emails are showing as sent from hornbill in the mailbox, but nothing is actually arriving.

Can I ask which log file is best to check to try to determine if it is a Hornbill issue or potentially an issue with O365?

Anyone else having problems?

We can receive email ok

thanks

lee

If the Delivery Status indicator is green:
image.png

and the log itself shows delivered:
image.png

then the email was handed over to your Office 365 Mail environment successfully - anything after this would need to be investigated with your Office 365 Mail admins.
If the status indicator is grey this usually means delivery is pending - with O365 Mail this may well be due to exceeding their rate limits, and the remaining emails will be processed over time.
If the status indicator is red the log will give more details - this may be a problem on the Hornbill or O365 Mail side, but the message should indicate where.

@James Ainsworth @Steve Giller

Hi Both, I have managed to get to the bottom of the issue which was due to a change too the SPF record on our side.

However I have been asked to ask the following question by our email team.

We can only have 10 separate SPF records hosted in our system (dns) as we have multiple requirements for multiple systems including the likes of Google and Microsoft etc we have exceed the 10 limit. In order to try to reduce this to 10 or below, they removed the v=spf1 include:_spf.hornbill.com ~all record that included the various Hornbill IP addresses

They tried to incorporate this record in another SPF record (for our domain name) by adding the required Ip addresses only, this however didnt work and is what had stopped the emails from sending.

Their question is, is it possible to somehow include a SPF record for hornbill using only the IP addresses that they do not need to have a separate record just for Hornbill (which is taking 1 of the 10 available entries they can have)?

I hope that actually makes sense?

we used to use the "Smart Host" option when we used google for email, but I dont think we could ever get this working with Microsoft O365 when we changed to Microsoft so had setup using the DNS routing.

thanks

lee

57 minutes ago, lee mcdermott said:

Their question is, is it possible to somehow include a SPF record for hornbill using only the IP addresses that they do not need to have a separate record just for Hornbill (which is taking 1 of the 10 available entries they can have)?

I don't see how that would work - it's not my area, but my understanding of an SPF record is to verify that emails from a certain domain that originate from a specific IP address (or IP addresses) are authorised to pass through your system.
If you have the Hornbill IP addresses in the SPF record from your domain they will always reject, because the domain and IP address do not match.

Should be possible, wonder if it was a syntax issue when adding the IPs in individually? The 10 limit likely refers to the number of DNS lookups that can be performed in one SPF record.  

RFC states:

The following terms cause DNS queries: the "include", "a", "mx", "ptr", and "exists" mechanisms, and the "redirect" modifier. SPF implementations MUST limit the total number of those terms to 10 during SPF evaluation, to avoid unreasonable load on the DNS.

Individual IP addresses in the SPF record don't count towards the 10 limit. But you would need to make sure that if Hornbill makes any changes to their list of IP addresses sending mail that you update these manually. Normally this change would be captured automatically using spf.hornbill.com.

Your domain should only have one SPF record (otherwise recipient servers will reject mail), but perhaps your DNS system combines them into one when publishing. 

• Thanks 1

@lee mcdermott Microsoft have released an alert:

User impact

Users may be unable to access their mailbox using the IMAP4 connection method within Exchange Online.

Title: Some users may be unable to access their mailbox using the IMAP4 connection method within Exchange Online User impact: Users may be unable to access their mailbox using the IMAP4 connection method within Exchange Online. More info: All other connection methods are unaffected by this issue. Current status: We've identified that a configuration issue within a recent change to enhance the IMAP4 connection method, is inadvertently causing impact. We're correcting the configuration issue to resolve impact. Scope of impact: Impact is specific to users hosted through the affected infrastructure and may impact any user attempting to access their mailbox using the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP4) connection method within Exchange Online.

Root cause: A configuration issue within a recent change to enhance the IMAP4 connection method, is inadvertently causing impact.

Can you switch to POP3 in the meantime?

• Like 1