Custom32 Field - In email template

Salma Sarwar

Hi @Salma Sarwar

Assuming that Custom 32 contains data (if it doesn't then it will show as {{.H_custom_32}} rather than blank, unless you use {{.H_custom_32|empty}}) then check the source of the e-mail template to check that there is nothing interfering with the variable. Sometimes where formatting has been applied using the editor there can be issues with HTML appearing in the middle of the variable name. Because they are HTML tags they don't show in the normal editor view, but you can pick them up using the source view.

@Berto2002 I'm afraid that's not how it works... email template variables and workflows are not related to one another... the email templates have their own (independent) way of resolving variables while "Get Request Details" workflow node only provides runtime values for the workflow (these are values that are used inside the workflow but nowhere else). Therefore for email template variables to work, there is no requirement for workflows to have any specific configuration (e.g. "Get Request Details" node).

• Like 1

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Salma Sarwar

Could you try opening the email template from within a ticket (one where you know that custom_32 has some data) please?

You can do this by opening the request, and then pressing the 'email' option, and then typing in the email template name. Select the template name, and a preview of the information in that template will show:

image.png

If this DOES show as blank then I think this will need to be reported as an issue here: https://www.hornbill.com/support/ so that we can take a look at your process and email template.

thanks

Hi

This has helped us troubleshoot the problem, I am not sure how the problem with the email template has been resolved.

Both field names on the email template read the same however one worked and the other one didn't.  There was no difference in what we could visibly see with with the field name, they both read like this {{Extended Information.H_custom_32}}

I don't know how but it is fixed :)

Thank you all for your help.

Kind Regards,

Salma

I'm trying to do a similar thing with bringing in capture answers and a task field into an email.
However, I can't get it to populate the custom field, I just setup a basic Business process and used our existing capture.

In the above it was mentioned about posting in the timeline to test if data was stored, assuming you just enter the variable the same as in the email it doesn't seem to be stored. 
I've completed the first human task which captures one of the variables, then its set to get answers and then store as custom as below. 

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

image.png.60434597851acdf3387f531c9cdea2ca.png
image.thumb.png.8a585d458eb00845410d6ea9eda039e2.png
image.png.ece7c403b662df594fd27f16237b08ec.png
image.png.759d8b21bafac10961e3f52bee4b07fd.png
image.thumb.png.7785f1298104b269d7ff4ee5b8567961.png

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @George Warren

Firstly, could you show me what the 'Get answers' node does please? If this isn't a 'Get Request Information - Progressive Capture Answers' node, then I don't think that the update to custom_31 option will work?

Secondly, in order to get the timeline updated, you'd need a 'Get Request Information' node first - which would need to be AFTER the 'Set Custom Variables' node, and THEN another node to write the variables to the timeline (which would be an 'Update Request - Timeline node'.

@George Warren it is a bit difficult to troubleshoot this on forums... may I ask you to raise a support request so it can be investigated?

One thing to mention is that email template variables will not resolve on request timeline updates, specifically this:

image.png

... will not result in the variable value being displayed. The variable in {{ ... }} format is only resolved in email templates.