Exporting request list data enhancement

Adrian Simpkins

Hi All,

I am unsure if this has been suggested previously but would it be possible to have an extra option when exporting request lists please? Currently as an example we could configure a request list view with the required column data in Service Manager which we want to export. However when you move to export this you then have to select the columns again in the column picker. Would it be possible to have an option on the export list something like 'Use displayed Columns' or something suitable to save us having to select the columns again at export? 

Many thanks

Adrian

image.png.43f0507d214ad12288378d2a841997c2.png

What is exporting the list achieving for you?
There is probably a better way of doing this - the export function is designed around infrequent ad-hoc exports of the View and if you're doing this on a regular basis then the Reporting functionality is likely to be a better method.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

This is for one off on the fly reports we generate out of the request list, rather than a back end regular report. Feedback from the Users just highlights a frustration at constructing their request list data, then when they go to export it they have to re-select the already configured request list columns. So for example someone wants a one off report showing an Analysts requests in their team - it is quicker to construct a request list and export this in excel than setting up a back end report / use the oob reports.

Many thanks

1 minute ago, Adrian Simpkins said:

This is for one off on the fly reports

I'll get my personal bug-bear out of the way - exporting the Request List View is not a report.
The View is ... a View, it's designed as a view, something to be looked at on screen. Thinking of an export of this View as a report immediately generates inflated expectations of what you can do with it.

Which goes back to the original question: What is exporting the list achieving for you?

Why does having the Request List in an Excel spreadsheet assist the Users, and more importantly, how frequently must these "one-off" exports be occurring to make it a frustration? (I'd argue this is a long way from one-off ...)

A quick example:

6 minutes ago, Adrian Simpkins said:

So for example someone wants a one off report showing an Analysts requests in their team

A report with a User Input for the Analyst would achieve that, including allowing more data than the Request List is limited to, and would be in an agreed and consistent format.