Attachments in Live Chat

Kirsty Boundy

We have found that once a chat message has then be raised into a ticket in hornbill the chat transcript is viewable to other users /teams taking over the ticket. However, individuals without a chat licence are then unable to view any attachments / screenshots that have been shared in the chat conversations originally. 

We were under the belief that the whole chat transcript including any screenshots shared would be viewed by all - This is currently leading us to a duplication of work by having to reach out to the customer again for screenshots / attachments in order to be able to provide a service. 

Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for your post.  I believe that need for a Live Chat subscription is a requirement to view attachments and images.  These are held within the Live Chat app and without a  subscription, a user wouldn't have access.  I'll make sure our development team is aware of your feedback.    

Hello Kirsty,

Just to confirm what @James Ainsworth believes, in order to access the embedded media content within conversations maintained by Hornbill Live Chat you need to be allocated to the Hornbill LiveChat application as a user.  That was a design decision taken when LiveChat was implemented as this is fairly typical of these types of chat systems and their integrations.  Were we to transfer the content as well as the transcript text, we would be essentially re-creating another read-only version of LiveChar (at least under the hood) to achieve that, as well as some very tightly coupled dependancies.  

Gerry

@Gerry Good Morning, Later this year we will be looking to implement a Live chat solution and looking at offerings both within Hornbill and 3rd parties. This thread has sparked a question.

Currently we deal with a lot of remote site where we have potential firewall issues, many of these are not able to be fixed at first contact and we have to find ways to capture a screen shot and send this into us and passed onto our 3rd line teams. Can I ask if a customer took a screen shot and attached it through a live chat session, The session would need to be raised into a ticket would this be available to our 3rd line teams or would they need to also have a live chat license?
Thanks

@Kelvin

As above, yes that is correct, as it is currently implemented, only people with a livechat subscription can access the embedded content within chat sessions.  I expect if you integrate with any thrid-party chat tools I am sure you will find pretty much the same situation there too. 

Gerry

• 3 months later...

Could I add a suggestion, as an improvement for future consideration please? 

Can images/files/any sort of attachments that get added to the live chat, when it's transferred to a ticket, can we get those attachments added as an actual attachment to the ticket, like images/files etc do that come in via an email response from a user. 

Like I say, I'm putting it out there as an improvement request, and I'm happy to raise this in another part of the forum if needed. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This decision makes it less useful as a service desk function, I’m not entirely sure the person/team that say it’s “working by design” have ever worked on a service desk or have any idea how busy service desks get. If they had they would understand that service desks are fast paced 1st line support and if they can’t fix an issue it gets passed off to a s2nd or 3rd line service, what use is the LC chat without any information/evidence of the issue to help the 2nd / 3rd line teams rectify it. The Service desk don’t have the time to keep going around and duplicating what they have already done.

It feels like a little bit of a tease by saying “here read the text but if you want more you have to pay”, especially when they aren’t using the LC feature, The 3rd line aren’t interested in the LC features, just obtaining the information that has already been collected by the people with LC licenses, you know, 1st line support.... the people that would logically capture vast amounts of the information. 

You say in previous responses "oh but this is how ever other company does it"! This doesn't mean you have to do it this way, why not be different?