Viewing BPM with errors

Guest Paul Alexander
On 6/11/2021 at 10:40 PM, James Ainsworth said:

A trick to getting the BPM ID is to use the Custom Buttons on a request

1. Click on the Manage Custom Buttons icon at the top of the request
  2. Add New
  3. Select BPM ID from the list of variable
  4. Copy the BPM ID from the Preview
  5. Cancel the creation of the new custom button.

Take it one step further and save the Custom Button with the URL https://admin.hornbill.com/[your instance name]/app/com.hornbill.servicemanager/workflow/bpm/![[h_bpm_id]] to take you there in one click.

Hi @James Ainsworth

This looks like a good idea....is there a way to have a Custom Button which will only be visible to Admins? So, if an analyst reports that a request has failed, rather than have to assign the request to me, they could message me, and I could click this button (which they won't be able to see, as non-admins) and I can investigate for them?

I've looked at making this visible based on a sub-status, but that isn't an option to filter by in the custom button options. 

I'm just looking for a quick, easy, reliable way to quickly get to the 'offending' BPM without having to rely on doing db queries, or waiting for a list of BPM's to populate :)

thanks

Guest Paul Alexander
2 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

The Enhancement for an exact match search on Request Reference will provide exactly this.

Don't we already have this though?

image.thumb.png.a4e3d4cd2fe91856fcdc598157532799.png

Or am I misunderstanding what the 'enhancement' will do? 

@Paul Alexander the running workflows table, used in this view is a very complex table. Because of this it is very likely that querying it will be slow, which is the reason that most likely, most queries on this table will hit the timeout limit and will not bring back any result. The enhancement mentioned by @Steve Giller involves optimisations for specific fields in this table (such as column indexes) that will make the query run faster when filtering on that specific column, such as external reference. This does not mean that filtering on external reference is not working currently, it works in theory but for the reasons above, it is a good chance that querying will bring no result. With the enhancement, querying will be faster, improving the changes of the query to execute within the timeout limit.

Guest Paul Alexander

Ah right!  That now makes sense.....I'd read it as if this was a NEW thing (searching on the request ID). That's what was confusing me....I was reading it as if the ability to search for the ID was the new thing, NOT that it was going to be optimised to make it work better. 

I'll hush now and go back to sleep..... :D

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul Alexander

I can see that this search function has now been improved (thank you!) BUT, would it be possible to extend the optimisation so that the option to search by status is quicker please?

One of my morning checks (and a check that I carry out during the day) is to check to see if there are any 'failed' BPM's which I need to look at. These will then flag up whether someone has managed to somehow befuddle a decision tree or something similar, but the list does mean that I can be pro-active in getting to and fixing the BPM before an analyst has to tell me that it's broken, or a customer sits waiting for some work to be completed which won't happen because the BPM has hung somewhere.

So, what I'd like, is for the same search speed to be available to show ALL failed BPM's, without having to find out their BPM ID or External Reference please.

thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander
On 6/18/2021 at 7:53 AM, James Ainsworth said:
On 6/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, Paul Alexander said:

is there a way to have a Custom Button which will only be visible to Admins?

After I posted my response, it did come to mind and was certain that this would be asked for :).  It's not available at the moment, but I'm looking into it.

Hi

Has there been any movement on these custom buttons being available only to Admins please?