Restricting access to a catalog item

Keith

I want to restrict access to a new catalog item. However, as the service subscription is no limited (and therefore available to everyone), I don't get any option to restrict use of the catalog item. 

Is there any solution to this or work around?

@Hornbill Support Team I notice that there is an option to give subscription to "All contacts" however all my users are "Co-Workers". Can we have this added as a option to subscribers?

Thanks

Keith

• Like 1

Hi @Keith

unfortunately there is no option to exclude only one user from the catalog if the service subscription is no limited.

If there is a parent group including all the groups, then you can subscribe it to the service and activate 'include subgroups', this way including all the co-workers.

You can then add the  co-worker to the service subscribers and exclude him from the catalog.

Regards

Armando

@Martyn Houghton

TBH this is an area I've always struggled with and am not the biggest fan of the way control is implemented.

Ideally what I'd like is a way of adding specific users to the catalog item to limit the access to them alone. Unfortunately, what I'm finding is this is not possible because the subscription for my service is wide open to all users, so I don't get the option to limit the catalog item.

To get around this it seems I'd have to add some sort of global organisation, or add Every organisation. And then I would apparently have the ability to limit to the users.

My biggest concern here is accidentally omitting users from using the service if they don't belong to an assigned Org. 

@ArmandoDM Would you be able to advise me the best way to report if I have a user with no org assignment. I just want to make sure no-one is orphaned which could result in them not seeing the service. 

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith, 

I understand that the configuration is not the easiest when it comes to having a Service that is open to everyone.  One of the challenges we had with providing the visibility of a request catalog item was that if the subscriptions changed.  The visibility list comes directly from the subscription list so that if there was a change to the subscriptions, this would also apply to the request catalog item visibility.  When a service is open to everyone, there is no visibility list to work with.  I'll see if we can revisit this area to see if some improvements can be make.

Hi James, thanks for the comment. I have been able to limit my catalog item, but it did involve me adding approx 50 companies as well as the users to get this to work. My fear is that some users may not be assigned to these companies and therefore lose access. I realise that this is an issue of our org structure but in a relatively large organisation like ours its hard to be 100% accurate.