Connections unable to view attachments

Frank Reay

We are using the my-services portal (but keen to move to the new Employee Portal).

It is frustrating that Connections are unable to view attachments (it also a pain that they cannot add but I can sort of understand that). This is clearly deliberate as stated in the Wiki but can someone explain why Connections cannot view - is it because you are concerned about data sensitivity (although the Connections can see all the updates) or is there some other business/technical reason? 

Will this be the same in the new Employee Portal?

• Like 1

@Frank Reay

There are generally two reasons, the first is data security as you suggest, and the second is where we have drawn the line of functional access for non-subscribed Service Manager users, it could be either one. Someone form the SM team will comment with confirmation.  

Gerry 

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your post.

As you mentioned, the current access to a request as a Connection is described here.  We do need to consider both the security and licensing models when providing additional access to information on a request. 

There is always a possibility that in the future, areas such as the Connections have additional features added.  Sometimes there are also alternative ways to achieve a particular requirement.  To help with this if we have an understanding of the use case around providing access to an attachment for the Connections it can help us plan in the future on how these may be delivered.

Regards,

James

• 5 weeks later...

Hi James & Gerry,

I'd also like connections to have visibility of attachments in future if possible please. In terms of use case, this is because a lot of the context of the requests raised in our team can come from an attachment, so connections wouldn't get a comprehensive view of the request without the attachment information, e.g. product screenshots.

Thanks,

Philippa 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

HI

I've been asked if connections can view attachments too, on a particular request.

The reason for the connection needing to see the attachment is that it contains a word form template with a suggested update to an online form (held in our company document management portal). We need the relevant connections to be able to see this attachment so that they can comment on whether they're happy for the new form to be uploaded or not. The people commenting on the document are NOT Service Manager users, and they can be anyone in the business.

I understand the security implications, but could there be a setting per attachment which would say whether it can be seen by connections or not? We get the attachment through a Hornbill PCF form, where we have the option of hard-coding an attachment title, so could this be used in the BPM to mark it as 'visible' or 'not visible' maybe? 

Having the option to view attachments as a connection will help us to NOT have to do a manual email from the request.

Hope that makes sense...

thanks

Hi.

This is something we discussed with Hornbill a couple of months ago and we expected it was already available.

We need connection to access attachments as a lot of processes can only go forward depending on decisions made by connected users that need to check attached documents. It doesn't not make any sense to send emails with attached files when you have those files attached to a request.

Cheers,

Alberto

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @James Ainsworth

I'm assuming from the setting details that the person who is added as a connection would have to have a collaboration license to be able to see the attachments?

I don't think we can afford to give ALL our users a collab license (as numerous people in the business would need to see this attachment in our case).

thanks

Paul

Having had a closer look,  if you can't see the attachments, it might be related to the Connection configuration on the Service.  There are two types of access for Connections.  View and Collaborate.  The ability to see and download attachments have been provided as part of the Collaboration view.  So you will need a combination of the setting mentioned above, plus select the appropriate level of request access to the Connection Type.  I hope that makes sense.

Also see: Connection Documentation

image.png