More Custom Fields

Dan Munns

Hi,

Could I ask that we can have some more custom fields please? 

I am currently trying to recreate a 3rd party change form in our portal so that the change is logged with us and the questions are mapped into their change form and submitted to them via email. 

The form has 34 fields (in a Word document) which actually translates as 77 when converting to variables to inject into the email (due to a lot of 'Please provide more information' boxes), but I could trim that down a little.

Minus 5 that I have mapped as h_summary, h_description, h_datelogged and raisedby.h_name (x2), I am 29 short. I am currently using all the h_custom_a - t fields and two date fields. As the other fields are intergers or dates they are of no use to me here. 

9 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

@Victor @TrevorKillick apologies for the repeated bumps but I am stuck with this and we need the process live ASAP.

Thanks

@Dan Munns

I can go round and poke the relevant team but why do you need each of the questions mapped to a custom field? You can pull the question and answers back at any point using BPM so curious as to the use case for putting all of these data directly into custom fields?

Just read that its to inject into an email template... I have bumped the Service Manager team to come and give a response to you regarding the number of custom fields available. 

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

@TrevorKillick I am mapping the question answers into an email template which is then sent to the relevant third party to kick off the change process with them. 

Changes are raised with us via the portal, sit through our CAB and once approved are raised as a change with them.

The third party will only accept changes submitted via this form and as I cannot map questions to an email template directly (maybe that would be a better change) I am stuck with custom fields. 

@Dan Munns Thinking out loud which is a little dangerous, could you use one of the long text fields and push the custom questions with the HTML markup for the email template into them? You can use the email template modifiers to allow HTML values inside the variables.

Yeah the issue with mapping questions in the email template is the one to many relationship, we have a restriction in email template to not introduce anything as complicated as coding which would be required to iterate over an array of items and output them in the template which is why for now we only have 1 -1 relationships.  

@TrevorKillick

I am not good at HTML so wouldn't know where to start with that I am afraid (although if I paste the correct variables into the email template and then view the source could that work?). 

Also what is the hard cap on characters in the long fields? 

Current character count is 56,397

@Dan Munns

h_custom_p ,h_custom_q,h_custom_r,h_custom_s and h_custom_t are longtext fields which can store 4GB of text so more than enough even in UTF-8 encoding for the 56k of characters you have. 

Have you got an example of the email template? I can help provide an easy to copy example that might allow you to progress this. 

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

@Dan Munns

Exactly, if you replace the variables in the email template with the &[] variables for the questions in BPM with the email template editor in source mode so you see lots of <> then you can copy the the whole block that makes up the list of questions and answers into the request update node in BPM and map one single variable in the email template where that block of code was, using {{.h_firstname|html}} format. 

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

1 hour ago, Victor said:

why would you need to add that into the HTML? ... assuming is the HTML for the longtext custom field... or is another HTML you referring to?

These are used for the 'Raised By' and 'Summary' and 'Description' fields on the 3rd party form.

1 hour ago, TrevorKillick said:

If you use a Get Request details node then you can use any of the output params from that in the HTML being saved in the same way as you will be using the progressive capture questions.

Yep, my bad. I thought I had the aforementioned node but, in fact, didn't. I have now. Works ok. 

Thanks guys. True gents as always. 

@Dan Munns

Awesome glad you got a solution, we are still discussing the issue of the number of custom fields and the ability to map Progressive Capture Questions / Answers in an email template internally we still want to find a better solution for this problem that doesn't involve messing around with HTML Templates like this.

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick

@TrevorKillick @Victor apologies but I seem to have an issue where the default variables are not mapping (my bad I had remapped the description to its own variable and forgotten).

So I have a 'get request details' node and the output is still like this: 

image.png.bc052785933e1d85f81ad58ad930651c.png

The other variables are pulling through fine, it is just the default ones.

The HTML for the first two fields of the form is: 

<tr style="height:13.4pt">
			<td colspan="2" style="border:solid windowtext 1.0pt; background:#d9d9d9; width:139.75pt; border-top:none; padding:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; height:13.4pt" valign="top" width="186">
			<p style="margin-bottom:.0001pt; margin:0cm 0cm 10pt"><span style="font-size:11pt"><span style="line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><b><span style="color:black">1 - Raised By *</span></b></span></span></span></p>
			</td>
			<td colspan="5" style="border-bottom:solid windowtext 1.0pt; width:155.85pt; border-top:none; border-left:none; border-right:solid windowtext 1.0pt; padding:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; height:13.4pt" valign="top" width="208">
			<p style="margin-bottom:.0001pt; margin:0cm 0cm 10pt"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">{{RaisedBy.H_name}}</span></span></p>
			</td>
			<td colspan="4" style="border-bottom:solid windowtext 1.0pt; background:#d9d9d9; width:167.3pt; border-top:none; border-left:none; border-right:solid windowtext 1.0pt; padding:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; height:13.4pt" valign="top" width="223">
			<p style="margin-bottom:.0001pt; margin:0cm 0cm 10pt"><span style="font-size:11pt"><span style="line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><b><span style="color:black">11 - Affected Client: *</span></b></span></span></span></p>
			</td>
			<td colspan="3" style="border-bottom:solid windowtext 1.0pt; width:115.95pt; border-top:none; border-left:none; border-right:solid windowtext 1.0pt; padding:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; height:13.4pt" valign="top" width="155">
			<p style="margin-bottom:.0001pt; margin:0cm 0cm 10pt"><span style="font-family:Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:14px;">&[functions.pcf("Third_Party_Change","Affected_Client")]</span></span></p>
			</td>

Any ideas? (I am sure I have missed something somewhere)