Error Code 1 - Could not connect to Server

KevinW

Recently gone live and this week started to see connection errors "Error Code 1 - Could not connect to Server"

Can see that there was a post back in 2017 with similar https://community.hornbill.com/topic/11841-error-code-1-could-not-connect-to-server/ but not much else. 

We've gone through the traffic on our side and can't see any issues. The error pop up is infrequent but being flagged by analysts in particular, usually a refresh of the browser clears the error and reconnects to our instance. 

Your Instance Healthcheck is showing all green, and none of our automated connection tests have flagged any issues for your Instance.

The issue in the linked post affected all users on every connection attempt for that Instance, and the underlying issue was permanently resolved, so this will not be related.

Can you confirm whether this is affecting all Users, a particular group (e.g. at a specific location, or remote workers only etc.) or does it seem random?

"Could not connect to Server" is normally (but not exclusively) literally correct and indicates an issue between you and Hornbill that is preventing a connection, so any additional information could assist our Cloud Team in trying to establish where the problem lies.

Hi Steve, issue appears random, is occurring at both sites for analysts. We will continue to monitor at our end, it's only started occurring this week.  

Not sure if this will help you work out where the issue lies, but we experience this issue quite frequently - in our case I am fairly certain it's down to our network infrastructure/internet connection, as whenever we notice the issue occurring if I test access to Hornbill on my own personal PC at home if I'm working remotely (avoiding our VPN and network) or via 4G on my mobile it works absolutely fine, so I don't think it's an issue on the Hornbill side

When it occurs for us it tend to affect everyone, but only lasts for a few seconds each time

@Steve Giller I am also getting these errors that appear suddenly on screen.

Just got one at 15.39 whilst updating a business process.  It lasted a minute and I was then able to save my process and carry on.

I also got one yesterday.

I am using Firefox.  I have not had any reports of this from any other users so far.

image.png.43a845d786aa60590fd0bccbe84c22c6.png

I don't know if it is related but I am currently unable to login to our instance using Chrome.  I am not sure if this is an issue with my device/ our network as currently I am the only one affected in Chrome.  Investigations on my device are in progress.

22 minutes ago, Estie said:

I am not sure if this is an issue with my device/ our network as currently I am the only one affected

That would suggest it's unlikely to be a problem with the Instance, as if the Instance were down no-one would be able to login.

You can always check the status from the webform to see if any issues are highlighted there.

3 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

That would suggest it's unlikely to be a problem with the Instance, as if the Instance were down no-one would be able to login.

You can always check the status from the webform to see if any issues are highlighted there.

Thanks I did check and the status seems OK.

@Steve Giller I am now getting the Error code 1 every time I try to update workflows using both Chrome and Firefox.  I have turned off my VPN and as far as I am aware our network settings have not changed.

I am using a Macbook with MacOS Ventura 13.6.6.

Any advice would be appreciated as the error is stopping me working on any workflow.

Our instance is not showing any issues.