Switch capture and changing BPM

I have been reading through the forum and found a few posts that relate to my issue but don't actually define the solution used to resolve the problem, my issue is very simple.

I am creating a single Pro Cap that based on the answers to the questions will use Switch Captures to redirect to 1 of 3 different pro captures as part of our change management risk assessment process.

I have created the 3 catalog items which all work expected when used directly, each has their own BPM (We have standard change, Major change and Emergency change with different requirements).

I have then created a single catalog item with the appropriate logic to switch to the required entity based on the relevant risk assessment.

The issue i have is that regardless of which switch capture it triggers, it uses the default BPM on the service.

I am struggling to understand how to define the BPM that should be used in each case.

I assumed that the BPM would follow the settings against the Catalog item that the switch capture uses, but it doesnt appear to be the case!

Any assistance would hugely appreciated.

I wonder if this is similar to the problem I'm having - I'm not switching captures but the Workflow is not being picked up from the one specified in Catalogue Item

It is a little different, my IC creates a ticket, but using the default BPM assigned to the Change Category on the service a opposed to the ones i want it to. But cannot see a way of telling it to use the correct BPM if it isn't picking it up as part of the Switch capture.

I believe there's a Hornbill Automation node you can use to switch workflow, that could be used right at the start of your original workflow. Should be Service Manager > Entity > Requests > Update Request > Service. It should then swap into the different workflow.

Thanks for the response! There is indeed that automation node that you can use to switch service but how to actually use it in context to be able to get it to apply the correct BPM is the problem, a few other threads allude to it but no actual solution is given and i am unable to get it to do what i need it to do. Seems overly complicated for something so straightforward.

On 12/04/2024 at 14:12, Daniel Smith said:

I assumed that the BPM would follow the settings against the Catalog item that the switch capture uses

I'm confused by this part - a Switch Capture does exactly that - switches to a different Intelligent Capture. It is not a Switch CI node.
A CI uses a Capture, a Capture does not use a CI.

Steve, exactly... the switch capture switches the capture but not the BPM.

I was trying to figure out to switch both and got there in the end. In the BPM attached to the initial catalog item used to work out which process it should follow, i have switch capture in the intelligent capture and then a matching update request service in the BPM to use the correct BPM based on the answers to the questions in the initial capture:

image.thumb.png.542da5ba6c353e98e9c833f9417c49c3.png

The "Assess BPM" set to manual -> yes is the key element that switches to the correct BPM associated with the catalogue item. Took a minute to get there but feels like this should be a feature or a little more documented on how to achieve this!

I wasn't aware of this "Update Service" node. Nice find! Is this a recent addition?

I had a little look at it, but was getting some strange results. When you hover over the "Assess BPM" information, it implies that the original process will get cancelled when this is set to yes, but this doesn't seem to be the case? (Just to confirm, I switched it to a different CI within the same service).

On my first attempt, I ended up having two background processes running on one request in parallel, which I assume is not intended and could very well cause some big issues?

Interested to know what the recommended way of using this would look like. I'm assuming you want to follow it with an "End process" node? But like I said, I was originally expecting it to cancel the original process regardless of what followed based on the information shown when you hover over "Assess BPM".