Exporting and importing Assets

Blowerl

Hi,  

Our Company has changed a few department names.  If I wanted to update them in the Assets.  Is it just a case of doing an export of one of the classes, open it up in excel and change the department name and then import it back into Assets?  I see that there is a Download Template file, but I guess this is for bringing new assets into the CMDB

Thanks

Lee

You are correct.
You need the download in CSV which I get from running a report. Take care if you have leading zeroes etc when manipulating CSV's.
The template file is actually for Uploading new assets - it is just offering you to download it!
I use this file to ensure I have the correct column names for my upload file which I do via the Import Utility.

• 3 weeks later...

The JSON file determines which fields from the CSV populate data into Hornbill, the full details are on this page.

You can use the dryrun feature to ensure (by reviewing the logs) that the correct data would be populated without actually importing any data.
Once you are sure this is correct you can remove the dryrun parameter.

Yes that is sort of what you put in the Command Line but at the front you need put in the location of the file (so something like c:\....). Also you need to point to the json file in the Command Prompt - not the csv (the json file then points to the csv)

I have to use the Task Scheduler as my Security Team have taken away access for the Command Prompt to do these things. But the Task Scheduler is a work around (just don't tell anyone!).

1 hour ago, Frank Reay said:

Also you need to point to the json file in the Command Prompt

Please refer to the documentation for this - pointing to the json is optional, as explained in the documentation.

1 hour ago, Frank Reay said:

But the Task Scheduler is a work around

Just for clarity - this tool is designed to be used via the Windows Task Scheduler.

• Like 1