Workflow Editor - Goto Node

With the ever-growing complexity of our BPMs we very often have a large number of crossing node connections, even using Via nodes to try to space these out, can make the workflow still very hard to follow.

Can we raise an enhancement request to have a 'Goto Via' set of nodes similar to the 'Nest Stage' node, which essentially goes to a 'Via' node or similar within the same stage. Then there could be a setting in the editor to either display the links from the new node (perhaps as a dotted line) or hide them?

Cheers

Martyn

image.thumb.png.2b2bfcffb37c389031ae7d5133b29512.png

• Like 1

@Gerry

I trying to make the workflow easier to read/follow where you have crossing connections, especially so when to are looping back to earlier in the workflow.

Think of it like a multilayer PCB you have where you need to link back to somewhere else on the circuit board but not cross/short the connections.

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton

ok so your saying, an actual node (like a label in a schematic tool) that simply points to a via node. So nia nodes would need to have unique identifiers so you could select the via to goto.  Is that what you are saying?

I have to be honest with you, my instincts are saying we should not be making it possible to create ever increasingly complex workflows 😕  when they are so complex does that not make them a total nightmare to maintain?

From a diagram./flow tool point of view, I like the idea, simple and as you say would be quite useful, especially if, when browsing the flow and you click that node it would pan and bring into the focus the node it connects to. 

I will ask the question internally to see how via(ble) forgive the pun that would be

Gerry

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:44 PM, Gerry said:

ok so your saying, an actual node (like a label in a schematic tool) that simply points to a via node. So nia nodes would need to have unique identifiers so you could select the via to goto.  Is that what you are saying?

@Gerry Yes thats the idea, 'Goto Via' rather than 'Goto Next Stage'. Having the ability easier read and follow the workflow without a spaghetti of crossing links make the workflow easier to maintain in my opinion.

We are not going to get away from complex workflows hence the idea of making them easier to visualise.

Cheers

Martyn

• Like 1