Response Time

Jim

Hi, in reporting we are looking at seeing our average response time and the trends through the months in the widgets, one question that has arisen is what is considered a response? the thoughts of a self service call being raised and service desk assigning to the relevant team might be considered a response but the request may not have an owner yet? the current set up is that a response is set when an owner is assigned but I'm curious as to what other users consider a 'response' and If I was to change to when an action is done by an analyst how would I do this in the BP's as I can't do 'Wait for request team' as a default team is always set

Always a tricky one to answer - while you can argue that technically an automated "Your Request has been logged" email is a response, most companies find a more useful criteria and these can vary quite widely.
As a Customer I would personally feel that a meaningful response would fit the bill, which would tend to be the first human contact, whether that's 1st line acknowledging the Request is in the queue and waiting to be processed, or the actual assigning of a Request to an analyst.

As always it'll be interesting to see what people feed back with.

What we do in our BPMs, when tickets are logged we set the status to "New" as one of the first nodes. We also assign the ticket to the initial team, send the request logged notification email to the customer, then start the response and resolve timers.

Following all of this and any other "pre-processing" that may need to take place, we suspend the process and "Wait for Owner".

Once an owner is assigned, the response timer is marked at that point.

I dont know how the timers are used for reporting though.

Hope that helps.

@Jim

We make the response time once the request has been assigned (including the same Wait for Owner @samwoo uses) and validated by one of our 1st Tier teams which is the point we send them an acknowledgement email. We use the response timer to monitor the performance of or 1st Tier who are responsible for the initial response and we store in a custom field the owner at the time the response timer is marked for individual KPI measures.

The only requests we make the response timer automatically is when the request is part of our automated requests where the system processes it.

Cheers

Martyn