Accessing Hornbill via an EE dongle

SJEaton

Hi

I recently purchased an EE wifi dongle and have been happily using it for work.  Sometime last week however, I started to get an error message when I try to log into Hornbill.  I have the link in page link saved in my favourites and when I select it I get this 

image.png.4864fd6c741f5ea4b5323d7ab7d50b30.png

When I click try again, I get this 

image.png.c379492ceceebe8eb3718672b8834909.png

When I click Log in it does nothing and then keeps going back to the same error.  If I refresh, I get taken back to the first timeout error.

If I kswitch to another wifi network (vodafone broadband) it works fine and I can log in.  The EE dongle is working as other things are connected such as MS Outlook, MS Teams and my internet browser.  I've cleared down my browser but still no luck.  Are you aware of something in the EE wifi configuration that blocks the direct logon to Hornbill?? Any ideas why it works on one wifi and not the other? 

Thanks

Sam

9 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

Are you aware of something in the EE wifi configuration that blocks the direct logon to Hornbill?

Unfortunately that would be a question for EE.

10 minutes ago, SJEaton said:

Any ideas why it works on one wifi and not the other?

If the only thing that is changing in the WiFi connection method, then the logical assumption is that this is where the issue is - again, one for EE I'm afraid.

Hi, I undertook a support call and things have been checked out with this response.  - , issue is not with the Window's or any web browser, or the device , it seems that there might be issue with the that web site server.  

I don't really know where to go from here.

Sam 

@SJEaton

As a workaround, it might be worth trying using a VPN, so your traffic is routed to the VPN endpoint over the dongle and then onto the Hornbill server rather than direct.

Also, do you get timeout issues shown when logging in to the Hornbill Support page and it does the instance connection test on the right-hand side?

Cheers

Martyn

image.png.892f969ebdc5641f0fb4ad6e2e9d7e80.png

The only test that doesn't appear to have been suggested is to take your dongle to a machine that is signed in to your Instance, log out, close the browser, plug the dongle in, switch to use the dongle's wi-fi and go to Hornbill again.

There's very little we can offer, though, as if I can connect (I can't sign in, of course, but the initial error is before sign in as I understand it so this still shows availability) to your Instance, all of your colleagues can connect, and you can connect using a different wi-fi - I'm not sure how much more conclusively we can indicate that the Instance is working.

OK.  I tried it through my phone and still get the same error if I'm on the EE wifi. It's fine if I'm on Vodafone wifi.  So strange.  It's like something has happened when the EE wifi was being used where there was a connection error and its just not liking it anymore.  Looks like I may have to get rid of the dongle if no-one can determine the cause.

Thanks

Sam  

I would certainly reopen your EE support ticket - with the evidence above (the fact that EE has the issue but not Vodafone should be sufficient by itself) you are proving it's an EE issue.

It would be worth asking them to check their blocklists to see if an erroneous entry is preventing access.