Email Routing

will.good

Hi,

I am trying to create an email routing rule that when a subject contains the phrase 'New User' it moves it to a certain folder. I have set up rules previously but cannot get this one to work

I have tried using Subject LIKE 'New User' but this is not working. I have had a quick look at the wiki for this and it is not overly clear where/when a % should be used 

@will.good

6 minutes ago, will.good said:

It does not take any action on the email once sat in the inbox

Correct, it doesn't. This is because the AR or routing rules engine action on incoming emails. These are emails that are "about to arrive" so they are en route... if helps look at this like "Email arriving from out there -> Routing Rules -> Mailbox or Operation, e.g. raise a request

In terms of how routing rules work, this is covered in bit more depth in this FAQ:

@Victor

Sorry I'm still not with you, we have a number of other routing rules that work in the way that I need this one to for other mailboxes on our instance.

What would you recommend I do for wanting to move an email with a certain Subject to a specific folder?

Thanks,

Will

44 minutes ago, will.good said:

we have a number of other routing rules that work in the way that I need this one to for other mailboxes on our instance

Routing Rules work before an email arrives at a mailbox, they do not work for one mailbox unless you specify that in the Rule itself.

If you have the Subject LIKE '%New User%' Rule set up and send a new email this should be moved as expected.
If the new email ends up in the Inbox, ensure that you do not have another Rule ahead of the New User Rule that is putting it there.

For clarity, I'll try and describe a hypothetical scenario... imagine a theoretical post office... person A sends a letter (that would be the email) to person B (that would be the Hornbill system, one of the email addresses you have configured in Hornbill). The letter is sent, it travels the way they travel, similar to emails and it arrives at the post office from where person B lives. Notice the letter is not yet with person B but with the post office, which in our case is the routing rule mechanism or as we call it the autoresponder. The post office the triages the letter and decides what to do with it, in our case is to have a mailman deliver it to person B. Now, once the letter arrives at person B, the post office can no longer action in any way in regards to that letter. You can have this hypothetical scenario mapped to how Hornbill works in regards to emails an routing rules to understand how this works. Hope it helps.