Lock Resolution for particular role

Alisha

Hello,

We would like to use the 'Lock Resolution' for a particular role so that certain analysts can't resolve a request until a Human Task is completed. (We have created roles - without access permissions - to group users in.) Is it possible to achieve this using a Variable? I couldn't find a way to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Alisha

Lock Resolve.png

@Alisha The Access Control options are on or off, they're not selective, with the exception of "... Full Access" and "Service Desk Admin" roles as detailed in the wiki:

Use the Access Control to lock or unlock the Details section or the Actions on a request. Only users with the appropriate application right (update locked requests) will be able to modify the details or use an Action once locked. This right has been added to the following roles: Incident Management Full Access, Change Management Full Access, Problem Management Full Access, Release Management Full Access, Service Request Full Access, and Service Desk Admin.

Hi @Steve Giller, so we're not able to use the Variable option in the 'Lock Resolve'? We have a custom role created that is just used to group users rather than give permissions. We'd like to use this custom role to restrict the Lock Resolve, as many of our analysts already have the Incident Management Full Access, so they would still be able to resolve something when we don't want them to!

@Alisha You can use the Variable option, but not in the way that you're thinking.

The parameter requires a boolean value, so supplying a variable with a true/false value will work, but supplying a variable with a value of "naughtyUsersWhoCloseThingsTheyShouldNot" will have unexpected results.

• Haha 1

Alisha, 

I would be interested to know if there are things missing from the Incident Manager User role that is requiring you to give the Incident Management Full Access role to users?  As the name suggested, the Incident Management Full Access provides full access and is a great role for team leads or managers.  The Incident Manager User role, is more focused on Service Desk staff.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@James Ainsworth I hope you're well.

The "Full Access" role variants allow agents to reopen tickets. They also grant the "Advanced task completion" capability for the user. In my experience, these are the actions that usually need to be possessed more broadly among a team. Having the "full access" roles overriding locked actions (something that typically needs to be more selective in terms of who can do this) often conflicts with the need to reopen tickets and complete other peoples tasks.

I hope that helps, 
Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Does the 'Advanced Request Task Completer' role only apply if the task has been assigned to a User? So if someone has the Service Desk Admin role and wants to reassign a task that is currently with a team they are not a member of, will this not work?

We do have a need for analysts to reassign tasks to different teams/users, which I thought the Service Desk Admin role would allow them to do.

Many thanks,
Alisha

@Alisha Advanced Request Task Completer is a right that sits within a Role, not a Role in itself.

The name is also accurate - it allow completion of Request Tasks - it does not affect assignment of Tasks. There is a section on reassignment on the Tasks wiki page which details the rules around this.
Rule 1 is, basically, ensure the Task has an Owner.

Hi @Steve Giller,

We often have tasks assigned to a team so that anyone in the team can complete the task. However, the request is sometimes reassigned to a different team and we would need our Service Desk analysts to reassign this task. Is this something that could be considered as an enhancement please?

Many thanks,
Alisha

• Like 1