Employee Portal

Daniel Dekel

I wanted to respond to two questions that were added at the last moment in the webinar:

1. Link to the App?
  2. Does the mobile app place an Icon on the home page of my mobile?
    • Yes, one of the reasons we've chosen the PWA technology is because you can configure the icon and name of the app you would like your employees to have once they add it to the home screen.

I would also like to thank all those who participated in the webinar and those who will watch it later on ;-)

Daniel.

Hello @Daniel Dekel can you explain me the different between customer portal and employee portal?  I don't get it really? I thought for my IT colleges (agents) i need a Full License. In our company our customers from the IT department are also employees from the company. My question is when we start to built an IT Self Service now do i use the customer portal or the employee portal for this? or both?

Thanks

Nikolaj

Hello @Nikolaj,

The Employee Portal is for internal users (your employees) and the Customer Portal is for external organisation use (Contacts). You don't need a license to use either of them but it is important for you to get the correct configuration form the beginning.

From what you explain to me, you are looking for an internal organisation structure, meaning you will better use the Employee Portal with users and Basic Users.

There is nothing impeding you from using both portals if you still have external customers.

Hope it answers your question.

Regards,

Daniel

Hello @Daniel Dekel

Ok I unterstand. we just have internal Customer. And for what is the the service portal then? I thought that is the portal for the self service entrence for our internal customer.

Is the employee portal more effective and user friendly? 

Best regards

Nikolaj

@Nikolaj so hornbill currently has 2 portals depending on how and what your organisation supports: the service portal (* more on this below) and the customer portal. The customer portal is designed for organisations that support external contacts, these are people who do not work or are part of the organisation. For example an internet provider supporting users that buy internet services. The services portal(*) is designed for organisation that support internal users, employees who work in the same organisation. For example the IT departments supporting other departments who use IT services. Both these portals were traditionally residing somehow outside the live app, they were/are accessible via a separate URL. This is still the case for the customer portal, not so much for the other.

(*) The service portal went to some transformation recently, we changed it for a while in "My Services" portal. It was given a new look but it would still reside somehow outside the live interface/app, and was not fully suited to support a complex organisation. This changed when we redesigned it and introduced the "Employee Portal" as a replacement for the traditional service portal. This has enriched functionality, can effectively support complex organisation whilst allowing a certain degree of separation when it comes to the user. I am not sure if you participated in yesterday webinar when we introduced this. In case you haven't here is a video that will give you an overview of it: 

I hope the above answers your query, happy to clarify further if needed :) 

@Victor thanks for your explanation. Now i got it and makes sense to me.  this was the important text for me ( This changed when we redesigned it and introduced the "Employee Portal" as a replacement for the traditional service portal.) Is it now also possible to assign assets to a Service Domain? Yes i saw the webinar yesterday and then the questions starts what is the right way for our IT Self Service to set it up for our internal customers. All of them have a Basic hornbill account.

best regards

Nikolaj

39 minutes ago, Nikolaj said:

Is it now also possible to assign assets to a Service Domain?

To be fair, I have absolutely no idea at this point how the new employee portal works. I haven't seen it yet nor the webinar. I will surely find out later as soon as time allows :) I think @Steven Boardman might be able to answer this? :) 

@Nikolaj With the new employee portal, think of this as the destination and then think about the different tiers of our new service catalog, as being the way you organise and present data to internal employees through the employee portal

Service Catalog - Any App will be able to publish services to the new platform Service Catalog (currently it is still only Service Manager)

Service Domains - These give you a way to organise your services into logical groupings  inside the Service Catalog - IT, HR, FInance etc.  The only attributes they have is, related categories and owners 

Service Domain Categories - These sit under each Service Domain and allow you to further breakdown your Service Catalog if needed - HR for example might have say - Before Employment, During, Termination of Employment as categories

Services - These are what we are publishing into the Service Catalog, we can do this via Service Manager (and in the future other apps).  Against each of your Services, you can assign these to a Service Domain in the Service Catalog and a Service Domain Category - This is for better organising your services and making logical separation of these for your employees on the employee portal

Against each of your services, you will have request items (catalog items), bulletins, FAQ's - these can be presented to your employees based on their subscription to the services, and catalog item visibility on Pages on the employee portal. 

Pages - Users with the appropriate roles and if they are domain owners can configure widgets on the pages of the employee portal, and can apply filters to the widgets, one of these such filters is by Service Domain, and or Service Domain Category - this simply filters the data on the widget which is presented to the employees to that of services linked to that Service Domain / Service Domain Category, this could be a Service Widget, Bulletin, Request etc

There are lots of other new types of widgets which you can also use which are not tied to Domains of course. 

Now coming back to the question about Assets to Service Domains, the answer is no, you would associate your assets at the service level.  You can of course also associate assets to employees, have them shared by (used by) multiple employee, by site - when raising requests against the services, via the progressive Capture Asset form, you can choose to allow an employee to associate any assets they have visibility of (owned, shared, at a site, all)

Hope that helps

Steve

• Like 1

@Steven Boardman thanks for your detailed explanation. helps me better to understand the change. Can you help me also with the start of the employee portal.

I cannot access it so far. I did all the settings i think but i still see just the service portal with my user.

Thanks

Nikolaj

image.thumb.png.d8351801f164d5a05db35432abf6f6bf.png 

@Nikolaj in the admin tool, do as you have from the Employee Portal settings

image.png

If you are testing i would also suggest you give yourself the following roles:

* Service Domain Administrator

Then go to Home > Service Catalog > Service Domains, and add yourself as a service domain owner, add domain categories etc  

This will allow you to manage domain pages on the employee portal

* Home Page Manager - This will allow you to configure the employee portal landing page 

Then in the live.hornbill.com/<YOURCOMPANYINSTANCE>

Look under the Home Menu item for '''Company Home'''

* Collaboration - Ensure user has the collaboration role to manage pages on the employee portal (Basic users obviously don't need this view the employee portal pages)

image.png

Refresh your browser if you can't see it.

Hi @Alison Oakes,

I can see a problem can occur if you add twice the same person to the list. We'll fix this issue.

As a workaround, I suggest you edit this in the System Settings (Home > System Settings > Advanced ) and add the key: experimental.feature.core.useNewEmployeePortalForUsers

You can there remove the duplicated user and either add more users there or go back to the Employee Portal view and continue from there.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Daniel.

@Steven Boardman thanks for your help i found it and it works so far. One more question i tried to setup to different Service domains IT and HR and qould like to populate the service catalogs to them. But when i log on with my test user for HR i can still see all catalogs from IT. Can you explain me what im doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.125d00d8f54f6654d1953955f2db3d3c.png

image.thumb.png.90df65f5c178f319e2fea05a3af0fb6c.png

Thanks

Nikolaj

@Nikolaj if you can't add them there, there is a location in the system settings to add them:

image.png

An end user (Employee) will only see the services they are subscribed too, so on the Employee Portal Pages and Widgets a user will see the services they are subscribed too be it IT or HR - if an Employee is not subscribed to IT Services they will not see these on the Employee Portal Pages - you still manage entitlement to services via each service in the Service Manager App (at this time), what you are configuring on the employee portal PAGES, is the widgets of data for example:

* A Service Widget

When you add a Service Widget to a Page, it will show the employee all the services they are subscribed too, you can then configure the widget to only show those services based on a Domain if you wish - but the user will not see services they are not subscribed too with either approach

As an example - Here is a HR Domain Page i have created, on it is a Service Widget.

In the Config i have chosen 'Filter by Service Domain' and Chosen HR.

This will then show each employee who is viewing this HR Domain Page, the HR Services they are subscribed too.

image.png

There is some useful resources on the wki here:

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Employee_Portal_Page_Configuration

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Employee_Portal_Widgets

We will also be running a design and configuration webinar on the 4th March, which will cover all of this in lots of detail.

@Nikolaj

49 minutes ago, Nikolaj said:

@Steven Boardman i mean the view in the employee portal.... and i try too add more test user but i cannot add a user anymore. There is no apply button.

There is no apply button because is updated in real time as you change things in the settings tab.

If you refresh the browser you will see the data is still there.

Daniel.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:44 PM, Alison Oakes said:

Can you assist we are struggling to build employee portal each time we add users to preview - the screen is not saving - when leave page and go back in sometimes saves sometimes doesnt - any ideas please? Are we missing something?

+1, I have this issue too.