Multiple service owners

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your post.  In many places within Hornbill there are entities such as requests, workspaces, documents, boards, and several more where a single owner is used in order to provide a single point of responsibility for that entity.  On the majority of entities where there is an owner, this is still the ability for other users to contribute to the entity which may be from either a configuration perspective or certain elements of the entity depending on rights and roles.

In the case of the Services I would be interested to know what it is that you are trying to achieve by adding a second owner.  Is there a particular problem that you are trying to solve?

Regards,

James

• 2 weeks later...

@James Ainsworth

From our point of view, we like @Katie Anderson-Weaver, would like to extend the logic around the ownership/maintenance of a service. 

I think the same 'model' as used in requests needs to apply, in that a request has an single owner (unless just assigned to the team), but all members of supporting teams can update it. 

I think there needs to be the additional concept of maintaining teams, either by adding an additional entity to hold this or a flag against the existing supporting team entity which would be the most efficient. Also this times in with other requests made on the forum about having the ability to have 'read only' support teams, as this could be another flag held against the support teams entity.

Having a single owner who is the only one who can do certain operations is creating a potential single point of failure, when said owner is off/unavailable. 

Cheers

Martyn

• 1 month later...

We have multiple owners for a service in our University - for example a service can have a Business Owner and a Service Delivery Manager - both have an equal stake in the service and may be required to authorise changes. Sure we can add them manually to a change but it's just a bit long winded and you need to know every single Business Owner and Service Delivery Manager off the top of your head.

• Victor changed the title to Multiple service owners
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is still in our backlog @Martyn Houghton.  I'll update this post if there is any progress to report.

@Katie Anderson-Weaver regarding the authorisations, we are also processing a change which will introduce a new operation for the Service Manager BPM Workflow which will allow you to select multiple users based on groups and roles.  You will be able to great groups that are involved in authorising services.   It will also check for users on holiday along with a few other nice options.  I'm hoping this will be available before the end of the year.   This may help with your configuration until we have an option for adding multiple users that oversee a Service.

Regards,

James

• 10 months later...