Assign to request creator

gwynne

Hello 

I cant seem to assign a ticket to the request creator in the BPM without specifying a team manually, is there a reason the auto function does not work is there a way around auto assigning to creator without specifying this?

G

@Victor

We too use this node.

At the moment the BPM Node does not allow you to pass a variable into the 'Team' parameter, so you have to hard code it in the BPM. Also I not sure what logic the 'Auto' option applied as we have never been able to get this method to work.

Can a feature request be raised to allow the use of a variable for the 'Team' parameter and perhaps advise on what logic is applied when the Auto option is used.

Cheers

Martyn

I do agree with that, however limiting the selection to one team means I have to create a much larger workflow for the sake of people in different teams to use it. could it not be based one what team supports the service or a node / variable checking the service for the supporting team and doing a match with the creator?

1 minute ago, Martyn Houghton said:

Can a feature request be raised to allow the use of a variable for the 'Team' parameter

I think this is already on the list as it been requested previously...

2 minutes ago, Martyn Houghton said:

what logic is applied when the Auto option is used.

for this particular node, none... the node interface is generic (so to speak), it does not sort of "tailor" on very specific aspects or scenarios of a node...

Just now, gwynne said:

could it not be based one what team supports the service or a node / variable checking the service for the supporting team and doing a match with the creator?

again, what if this check returns more than one team? what if the service is supported by two or more teams and the creator is a member of two or more of these?

I know I sound like the devil's advocate here, just trying to explain the rationale. I do agree that configuration can be improved and sometimes is not very straight forward but there are challenges that we cannot overcome easily... and this requires more thought.. :) 

@gwynne @Martyn Houghton

Hi both,

We do actually have an alternative to creating a brand new team for everyone that currently exists in the tool. 
If you use a combination of the "Get Request Information" automated task, and then the Assignment automated task selecting the option Assign to Owner (variable) this allows you to not have to specify a support team as mandatory and set the Owner to be a variable of your choice - so in this case you would use the "Created By" info that was picked up by your Get Request Information node. 

The way this will work is that it will always assign the request to the creator,  but against the first support team it finds for them in the DB. So if they are a member of 10 support teams, it will automatically pick the first one. Then, the owner can choose to manually reassign it to themselves in a more appropriate team if they desire, but it means the request will at the least be assigned to the correct persons. 

Some screenshots on how to set this up:

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_4.png

Hi @Claire Holtham 

That's right you won't get an error using the approach specified above. But if everyone is part of the same team anyway, you are better off using our standard "Assign to Creator" node and specifying the team name.

Kind Regards

Bob