Email Routing to Resolve/Close a Ticket

clampj

Hi

I'm seperating this out from my previous thread for simpilicity and posterity.

Is it possible to automatically resolve/close a ticket via an email routing rule?  If so how is it done?

I think I need Hornbill to answer this.

If its not possible, can it be requested as a feature please?

Thanks

Jason

It relates to this topic:

Basically, I'm automating remote access.  User clicks catalogue item on portal which sends an email to a mailbox monitored by a powershell script.  Script checks license count and adds them into the AD group if license not exceeded.  Email back to Service Manager so SM can notify the user.  The call goes on hold for 2 days before a removal email is sent at which point they are removed from the group by another powershell script.  The script emails back to Service Manager to confirm removal.  Id then like the call to close automatically.

I'd like all of the above to happen with no human interaction apart from the user requesting access on the portal.  Seems the part thats not doable is the last bit - closing of the ticket when the appropriate email is recevied into SM.

1 minute ago, clampj said:

The script emails back to Service Manager to confirm removal

Can there be any other type of email besides "confirm removal"? (for that specific request)

1 minute ago, clampj said:

closing of the ticket when the appropriate email is recevied into SM.

Based on the above, what constitutes an appropriate email? A specific subject, content?

Ok so a bit more detail - the powershell can be configured to email whatever I like.  i've decided on the following:

The email from SM contains the word 'Add' in the subject and the call ref followed by the username seperated by semi colon in the email body. The script checks the subject to know whether its an addition or removal.  If its an addition, the script checks if they are already a member of the AD group.  The email back to SM (containing the call ref in the subject) has the following text in the body - *Username* Already has access.  I'd then like SM to resolve/close the call.

If they arent a member of the ad group the number of group members is checked against our license total - if this addition will exceed the license count then the email back to SM contains 'License exceeded please contact service desk'.  If it doesnt, they are added to the AD group and the email back to SM advises 'Access Enabled'.  Both these outcomes would require the call to be placed on hold (which is the default configuration of the business process and happens currently).

This is what I meant by appropriate email but like I said - I can configure it how I like.

When the process automatically takes the call off hold, an email is sent with exactly the same format as the request to add access except the word in the subject is remove rather than add.

When the user has been removed from the group the script email SM to advise access removed.  I'd like this email to cause the call to resolve/close I'd also like the email back to SM that advises the user already has access to resolve / close as well.

If you can think of a different way to o this I'm all ears!

Thanks

J

@clampj well then what I originally thought won't work... I thought that once the request is waiting to be resolved then it only expects a single and unique email ... in which case you could have the BP in a suspend state and close the request automatically once the email is received... but since the email can be different it might require different actions... so, not going to work. Not with email and routing rules anyway.

But since you mentioned powershell doing automation, why not have powershell resolve and close the request directly? You can download our powershell library from our Github repository (https://github.com/hornbill/powershellHornbillAPIModule) and use it so powershell can invoke Hornnill APIs... then you can have powershell invoke resolveRequest (https://api.hornbill.com/apps/com.hornbill.servicemanager/Requests?op=resolveRequest) and closeRequest (https://api.hornbill.com/apps/com.hornbill.servicemanager/Requests?op=resolveRequest) APIs...