O365 Mail Routing Issue

Paul Trenter

Hi all, been trawling these forums, the Wiki and online and haven't come across a solution the problem I'm currently stuck on.  Hopefully a simple fix.

Our company has moved from a shared email environment to our own.  Both used Office 365.  We moved our domain name with us.  The email routing was fine before.  I've created a new hornbill email account for us to use as routing but when I enter that account and password in the existing 'Outbound Mail Routing' page and test, it comes back with "SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender"

Is there some additional config I need on the account to grant that permission needed?  We only need outbound mails from Hornbill configuring.

Hi @Paul Trenter

@Martyn Houghton is exactly right - the from address does not match the name of the shared mailbox in question. I have just gone through and tested it myself and it seems that the problem is not with the config but with the test email address being hardcoded as 'do-not-reply@live.hornbill.com'. 

Firstly I have also gone through and tested the email configuration within the application and that does work correctly, you will be able to continue sending emails out of the system, it is just that the testing SMTP section has the from address hardcoded, which needs to be changed by us.

So you can continue working because your mailbox will send emails out, and thank you for pointing this out this will be raised and fixed asap.

Thanks

Conor

• Like 1

Hi all, a quick update on this to explain how I got it working.  The email address I wanted to send from in Hornbill was on our O365 as a distribution group.

There is a Group Delegation setting in there where you can set other accounts to send as that dist group address.  I added the same Hornbill account in there that was in the smarthost settings and all tested ok.

• Like 1