How do I amend asset attribute labels / add new attributes?

Guest pproot

Guest pproot

Hi,

The fields provided against assets don't all match those that we want to store information against; for example our CMDB records rack and 'u' position locations for CIs in our Data Centres. I would like to either change the label against some fields (for example change Geo Location to 'Rack') or add additional attributes to the Physical Location section. Is this possible?

Hi @pproot

following @victor suggestion to update a property label, its not possible for the user to add additional attributes to the Physical Location section or other sections.
Nevertheless, its possible to add additional attributes as  part of our regular updates on assets, as mentioned in the following thread

Regards,

Armando

Guest pproot

Thanks - I have done that and it works fine for me - will that change it for other users when they log on though?

Guest pproot

Looks like the translate only works for the duration of the current session and also not for other people so that is no good - I'll check out Armando's response

Guest pproot

Looks like the translate only works for the duration of the current session and also not for other people so that is no good - I'll check out Armando's response

Guest pproot

As soon as I log out and log in again the label returns to it's previous value - just to be clear I just translate per Viktors screen shot and then click ok - is that correct (no other saving?)

Guest pproot

Yes, will do Steven - I need 'Rack' , u position and u height in the physical location section please

Thanks @pproot i'll get these added for consideration on the next update and will update as this progresses

In regard to the translation issue.   Every label in Hornbill has a translation string, and you are able to change it to whatever you want (Bear in mind this will be global and seen by all other users).  Now i am not sure why you are not seeing the translation persist on your instance, as this appears to work as expected for me also.   

if you go to the admin console > Service Manager > Translations and in the search box type user.view.asset.general the results will be filtered and you should see the Geo location default value as Geo Location but in the Translated box it should show the value you changed the label too (through the UI translation tool)?  

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 16.37.47.png

If this is correctly showing a different value, then we need to see if there is a caching or other reason why you are not seeing the updated value in the UI.

Could you take a look and let us know?

Guest pproot

Thanks Steven - I have changed it in translations on the admin console as suggested and it's now showing fine across all instances - thanks for your help

Guest TrishaRush

Hi

Now that we've used the translate feature - please can someone let me know if it's possible to amend the column headings for fields we have 'translated'?

For example, we have amended user.view.asset.general.h_building.label to read 'Chassis' but when you click Manage Assets> Computer System, the heading still reads 'Building' and not 'Chassis'

• 1 month later...

Hi @TrishaRush

The translation string in Administration that can be used to translate 'Building' is user.view.assetlist.table.column.building.  If you go into Administration and under Service Manager->Translations you can search for this string and change it accordingly.

I also want to mention that we have added some additional attributes for assets which include rack, u-position, and u-height.  This should be available over the next couple of weeks. 

Regards,

James

• 1 month later...