Asset Data Fields

flanderp

Yes i would like to have "Department" but i dont see it in the list of available fields to display.

We are a large FE college so have items in locations not owned by a user but reside in (Example "Science Department"), it would also be nice to filter on all assets owned by a specific department

We too would like this option.  All users are based in a Department which is fed through from AD.  We would like the same list to be available as a drop down in the Assets as currently we are using the 'Location' field but it's a free text field which could lead to issues with typo's etc.  This would then make hardware audit easy as I could report on specific departments knowing I've not missed anything out.

Is it possible to get the Location field to look at a list which I can populate somewhere or even better the department field of Users?

Thanks

I wonder if Hornbill can point to a road map with a time scale for the asset functions, the asset element is starting to look incapable of managing a large environment whilst it is nice to assign assets to users some of the inabilities are starting to make our support staff question why we opted for this solution.

Hi @flanderp

Thanks for your posts.  There is a change is in our backlog which will allow the ''used by'' field which is under the General Asset Information section, to also allow for the selection a department or other organisation group.  It completely makes sense that something like a network printer which is not used by a single user but rather the whole department could have a setting like this. I would like to start with confirming if this would facilitate what you are looking for?

We get hundreds of features requests and great ideas for our products and ideally we would like to provide as many of these as we can as quickly as we can. We do track the amount of feedback that we get from our customers on the forum and in the case of this particular feature it sits very high up our priority list having had a number of customers discuss it here and on other posts.

I'm afraid I can't give a definitive answer to when it will be available, but I can assure you this is high on our list of important features. Please keep posting your ideas and thoughts as we love to hear from our customers.

Regards,

James

Hi,

Thanks department would be good , we will keep posting requests , the inability to add custom fields also means we are unable to have a field marked "Mac Address" unless its named something else i have not yet found.

If there is a functionality road map available we may be able to easily see if the functions we need moving forward will be available in the future.

Thanks 

Paul

Hi @flanderp

For the majority of the fields required on the assets we can add these quite quickly.  On a regular cycle we add fields that have been requested by customers and the MAC Address will fit into this cycle. This approach of providing these fields on request works much better than the use of custom fields as it builds a standard structure that makes reporting and integrations more consistent.  Adding the department under the Used By field has a bit more logic behind it as we have to consider how things like how impact might be managed or reported on so this is being done as a separate change.

We do have a large number of ideas and change proposals in our backlog but we do not formally put these in a roadmap.  For our customers we feel this is a good thing as it means that we can adjust to the needs of our customers rather than following a predefined list of features to be delivered over a long period of time.  In the future we are looking at providing some visibility of features that are currently in development and possibly show the features that have been requested the most by customers.  For the functions that you need I'd recommend searching the forum to see if other customers have already raised something similar and add comment to show your interest. If you don't find what you are looking for, do as you have done here and start your own post and this will help drive other customer's interest and ideas on the function that you have requested.

Regards,

James