New font anyone?

@Alisha

No one likes a UI change, a different look can be initially disconcerting, but I find when software I use changes like this, I tend to give it a week or two to see if my personal preferences adjust, they almost always do. 

I don't know about your org, but for example, at Hornbill we all use Office365, and in the same vein, we don't have any control over the font that Microsoft has selected for the Office365 UI, and they do this for good reason, because typography like other style elements are very subjective choices driven by individual preferences often.  They have design experts that define these sorts of things so no one else has to think about it.

It would be impossible to continually refine a high quality UI for Hornbill if the font can be changed on a custom-by-customer basis, doing so would lead to an endless stream of "this screen does not look right for me", and we would never be able to please all the people at the same time.  Se we see the UI font selection as a UI design choice, not as a customer configurable option, so there is no option to change the font I am afraid. 

All that being said, we are not trying to make the user experience worse for anyone.  The argument of "some users preferred the other font" is probably not going to be enough for us to switch fonts, but if you can provide a more objective reasoning and specifics that we could take back to the design phase and see if we can address those while stiil remaining true to the design reasons we decided to change the font in our design language.  

Does that make sense?  Can you provide more specific/objective points around the issues with the selected font?

Gerry

Just for confirmation is this what it should look like?

image.thumb.png.97151d5d441a0009613776059fbd42ed.png

If I inspect the element it's this:

image.png.fda65f9f41787b804a0f08d1d90aa6b2.png

I just ask because in this other chat, Daniel implies the new UI font is "slightly... bigger" but our experience is that, after the change, the font we see if smaller and more compressed.

I don't have a problem with it but as this change was about consistency of experience I wanted to check that what we see is what you're sending out.

Our "new UI" used to have the same font as this forum.

Hi @Berto2002,

That is correct. Getting more in to technical aspect, your screenshot includes a CSS variable that is not in use (dkl-font-family set to "Poppins"), so that is irrelevant in this case. The correct font that is being loaded is "Roboto". With a default size of 14px (1 rem). Previously the problem was that It was using Roboto but not all browsers were loading it, so this was causing that each browser and OS was loading a different font type (the 2nd or 3rd in the list). That's why for some people it was changed and for others it was not.

Hope it is more clear.

Regards,

Daniel.

• Like 1

Hi @Gerry @Daniel Dekel,

I understand that no one likes a UI change and it's natural for people to have mixed feelings about them.

I'm not sure what font we are seeing now, but it appears to be more narrow/elongated, which our neurodiverse users are finding more difficult to read. I'm wondering if we're not actually seeing the correct font as a lot of Hornbill's changes do tend to be positive and enhance usability.

I know it takes time to adjust and personal preferences differ so it it's impossible to please everyone when it comes to making changes, but some of our neurotypical users have also commented that the 'new' font seems a little overpowering (especially when viewing the request list) and makes it harder to read.

Below is a screenshot for comparison. The first block of text is the original font we were seeing.

Many thanks,
Alisha

Font comparison.png

Hi @Alisha,

Sorry for the delay but we had been investigating and discussing between teams about the best solution for this issue.
Could you please let me know what Operating System and browser do you and your colleagues use?

We do have an idea what is going on but just to make sure we need these details.

Thank you,

Daniel.

I think this echoes my post above in which I posted what we are seeing for a visual recognition: 

We are mostly Win10 at the moment but I am Windows 11, version 23H2. Edge browser latest.

Thank you @Alisha, @Berto2002,

I've done some investigation to understand what is the problem. There are small differences for users depending on what is the Operating System, browser and specific configuration for each. When we changed the font to Roboto, some users had the font rendered a bit different than others and in some cases with a bad resolution.
We are going to change the way we display fonts and use the system font. It will be a Sans type, making it easy to read and optimized for each operating system and browser. 

I hope this will improve the experience for everyone.

Our next build will include this change.

Thank you again for your patience and feedback.

Daniel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1