Parallel Process Resolution problems!

mmensah

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a build that's supposed to open multiple linked requests in parallel whilst staying open until all of the linked requests have been resolved, however i've come across multiple issues achieving this. 

i've used HB automation nodes to to "suspend" and "wait for linked request resolution", however once i've resolved the linked requests in testing, the master request still remains open 

please can somebody clarify where i'm going wrong here?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Martin Mensah

image.png.848c02e0827483984275eb45536ce994.png

On 09/01/2024 at 20:46, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @mmensah

When you say "Parallel Processing" are you referring to the use of the Start and Stop parallel processing nodes within your workflow? 

image.png

Hello James, Yes this is what i mean

Hi @mmensah

It is recommended not to use Suspend automations within parallel processing.  A workflow can only be suspended once.  Having one or more suspend automations in the different parallel tracks can cause problems.  For example, if you have a suspend node in each track, and both of these nodes have been reached, the first one to be completed will unsuspend the workflow in both tracks. The main purpose for parallel processing is for tasks that need to be done in parallel.

Without seeing your workflow, it is difficult to make recommendations on how to best change your workflow to accommodate the outcome that you are looking for.  I would start by checking if the items within the parallel process really need to be done in parallel.  Can the suspend and wait for resolution be moved outside of the parallel process?

hi @James Ainsworth - i've worked with martin on this, and this is the part of the workflow in question. if multiple suspend nodes cannot be used in parallel, is there a way to be able to keep the master ticket from closing, until the splintered tickets, be it 1, 3, or 5 different linked requests are completed or some sort of indication of completion such as a timeline update? we currently want the one ticket logged by the customer to not immediately close, but also need it to splinter into various teams based on their choice within the intelligence capture, and those linked requests may meet completion at different times due to being sent to different teams.

image.png.2c8fc0386dd1d6717be002db948133a0.png

If you use the Wait For Linked Requests Completion node without specifying a Request ID:
image.png

This will wait for all linked Requests to be completed (as defined by the settings - I set mine to Closed and Cancelled)

This would be positioned after the End Parallel Processing node, so there is no requirement to have multiple suspend nodes inside a Parallel Process.

• Like 2