Routing Rules stopped working - recent update seems to have affected the case of Rule expression

Estie

Hi I created a email routing rule on 23.10.23 and it stopped working on Friday.

It seems that the syntax for the rule expression has changed the case of the rule expression to lower case.

I believe this may be as a result of recent updates to routing rules.

Other routing rule expressions seem to have had the expression updated but not this one.

See below for example:

This is the routing rule expression on Friday which stopped working - Rule Expression uses capital letter 'F' in FromAddress

image.thumb.png.f4e8cc61d0e60475a5bdc95331e70166.png 

I changed the rule expression to use one picked from the variable list which uses a lowercase 'f' and now all is working again.

Expression which works: fromAddress LIKE '%noreply@xxxx%' AND subject LIKE 'Login Issue%'

image.thumb.png.23a2ebf3a75a5d8e65c7374bd3530567.png

Are we supposed to use the drop down variables for rule expressions now?
Are they now case sensitive?

Thanks

Hi Estie,

It can be beneficial to use the options from the drop down but you don't have to. If you know the correct spelling and case you can write the variable directly into the expression.  As far as I'm aware, these variables have always been case sensitive.  In the case of the from address the correct format is fromAddress.  

@Estie

At some point quite some time ago (more than two years ago) we swapped out the expression processing engine for something much more reliable, the old one was not case sensitive, you are correct, but thats been changed for well over two years, so your expression must have been failing and probably for quite some time

Recently we have improved the UI so you can now use intenseness, as you type you will be prompted with options for the available variables.  We have also amped up the documentation so you can click the (?) button to get some in-app help, or, you can see these two documents. 

https://docs.hornbill.com/esp-config/email/using-email-routing-rules

https://docs.hornbill.com/esp-fundamentals/reference-guides/express-logic

Hopefully these changes and improved documents are worthwhile improvements  

There is one further thing on its way, which is Email Inbound Delivery Log which, amongst other things will allow you to see which rules were evaluated and which rule (if any) was applied. This will help you better diagnose unexpected triggers, or non-triggers of email routing rules. Watch this space, should be in the next week or so. 

Gerry

@Steve Giller, @James Ainsworth, @Gerry - thank you all.  Oops I am not sure how that happened.  I was not aware of the case sensitivity so will be more careful next time.  Although I am certain the routing rule, which was only created last week and was copied from a previous rule, was working up until Friday.

@Gerry Thank you that is very helpful information and I will watch this space.