Managing External Authorisations

Jeremy

I would like to know how people manage External Authorisations, specifically if you need to change it to someone else or to progress the request before the authorisation is complete?

We have some instances where people may be on leave and we want to change the authorisation to another person which I can do in the BPM, but it requires a decision to be made via the email. However there is no way to override it in the system as there is no task in the request and we cannot send the email to more than one address, so we are just waiting for the authorisation to expire (some of ours have an expiry of 14 days) before you can actually do anything with the request.

If you want a Task in the Request, you can set the BPM to email the Authoriser and assign a Task to the Request's Owner (or Owning Group) to action when there is a response. This Task can have outcomes of "Approved", "Rejected", "Change Approver", and the usual expiry and the workflow can branch based on that outcome.

Alternatively you can use Authorisation nodes in place of External Authorisations.

Both of the alternatives have an attached cost - the former in Analyst's time and the latter in Collaboration Licenses - but the additional functionality they bring would be the business case for this.

It's seems a shame that you can't even get a link to the email that has been sent via Direct Outbound. I know emails in the inbox etc have their own individual links so it would be nice to have this for the Direct Outbound Messages then maybe we could find a way to add a link to the timeline or to have a custom button take you to the email so that they could be processed in these edge cases.