Allow display formatting of custom date fields (such as h_custom_21)

samwoo

Goo afternoon,

I would like to request the ability to add formatting options to Custom Fields in the Request List view.

I have a Custom Field (h_custom_21) that is populated with the dates of the New Starter, Mover and Leavers.  The field type that is used to populate h_custom_21 is a Date field only (no time).

But when h_custom_21 is populated, we see the time on it in both the Request List (Custom View) and in the Request Details.

Please can we have the ability to format the display of these date fields to not include the time.

Request List Custom View:
image.thumb.png.4001edd9ec2d8644fc5d699de5ef466a.png

Request Details:
image.png.2ef321b1facef2931a9ea9c41f07731d.png
image.png.38c71e6fefcb46af84a72151524edc94.png

On 7/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, samwoo said:

Please can we have the ability to format the display of these date fields to not include the time.

Date/Time fields are formatted based on User Preferences, if you need them displayed in a certain format you would need to use Text fields.

15 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

Date/Time fields are formatted based on User Preferences, if you need them displayed in a certain format you would need to use Text fields.

Thanks for the response, Steve!

Not a biggie to use 2 x fields for the date... so, one for capturing the actual date in a datetime field, and the other for the formatting of that datetime field...

But unfortunately, this will not work in the Request List, as we will be using this custom date column (h_custom_21) in a custom view so we can sort the list by the date the New Starter/Mover will start and the date the Leaver will leave... unless the Request List is clever enough to determine when a Text field Custom Column is actually a date?

It just seems unnecessary and can be confusing to have the time in there as some have said, where elsewhere the time is important to be displayed so user/global date formatting settings can complicate things a bit.

image.png.f68f4f474308dc02c477cdee03f203d2.png

Please could this be raised as an enhancement request to be discussed, for the Custom Field in views at the very least, to allow overriding user/global settings for a column?

Thanks,

Samuel

1 minute ago, samwoo said:

Please could this be raised as an enhancement request to be discussed, for the Custom Field in views at the very least, to allow overriding user/global settings for a column?

It certainly could - my first thought, though, is when Request X uses Custom 21 as a Date/Time for, say, an Engineer's visit, Request Y uses a Custom 21 as a Date for a Warranty Renewal, and Request Z uses Custom 21 as a Time for a meeting - they can all appear in the same Request List View ...

4 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

It certainly could - my first thought, though, is when Request X uses Custom 21 as a Date/Time for, say, an Engineer's visit, Request Y uses a Custom 21 as a Date for a Warranty Renewal, and Request Z uses Custom 21 as a Time for a meeting - they can all appear in the same Request List View ...

Of course, therefore we are setting up dedicated views just for New Starters, and separate views for Movers as well as Leavers, and my thought would be that we could only configure the formatting within the view configuration

image.png.510759b89153beeee2a1142b2b75b545.png

In here for that view (this one is the New Starters), if it's detected a Date field. there could be a setting to "Override system and user date / time format" or something, and here we can select from that huge dropdown list of predefined formats/

• 3 weeks later...

Ignore post - topic already tagged as enhancement (fool me for looking for the tag in orange, instead of the blue one already there)