Change Image in the Image Library not working properly

samwoo

Good evening,

When changing an image in the Image Library, I can see the new version of the image I uploaded.  When navigating away or hard-refreshing, the old image comes back.  If I try to re-upload the new version of the image, I get an error message.

Despite hard refreshing and logging in and out, the old image remains even though the new version has been uploaded. In places where I have linked that particular image record, the old image still remains.

Here is an old image

image.png.777497dcb27840976aa71c2e308d7dd0.png

Here is after I clicked Change Image and uploaded the new version, as you can see the corrections to the typos from the previous image were added:
image.png.5b8d8b0cfb6f030b2b1c42d47e9c9dac.png

I then check the Portal form, and I can see that the old image is still visible on the Employee Portal, even after I have done a hard refresh:
image.png.76054dafe4d117525d4ad9e4bc222d7f.png

I go back in, and hard-refresh the image library and even tried logging out and back in, but the old image is showing instead of the new version:
image.png.5c7792507389933c4dd58ddad57e7be4.png

I go back in and click Change Image again, select the new version and press Save, but I now get this error message instead:
image.thumb.png.3486f3c6c7ac2682aa51e7b94a0d3c89.png

• Like 1

Hi @samwoo,

This will be because image url uses the image record id and the browser is fetching off cache or the webserver is delivering off it's cache. We will need to add some sort of cache breaker. We will look into and have started a convo internally to get it sorted out.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

For performance reasons the images are cached by our public CDN's so updating an image is generally not a good idea if you already have something in use. To resolve this issue, just create a new image, which will generate you a new ID/URL and use that.

Gerry

9 hours ago, Gerry said:

For performance reasons the images are cached by our public CDN's so updating an image is generally not a good idea if you already have something in use. To resolve this issue, just create a new image, which will generate you a new ID/URL and use that.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, I guess the only issue is what if the same image is being used in multiple places such as on the BPM, Email Templates etc. But, thankfully I am only using this image in a single location.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, will.good said:

@samwoo

Sorry to jump on this post! I am just curious how you have added images to the IC? It looks great!

Thanks Will! All you need to do is get a link to a publicly available image (whether off the web, or via the Image Library under Platform Configuration).

In the Business Process, where you wish to display that image, simply use the following Wiki Markup:
[[File:<URL HERE>]]

There are some additional parameters you can use, which are available here:
https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Wiki_Markup#Images

• Like 1

@samwoo

" I guess the only issue is what if the same image is being used in multiple places such as on the BPM, Email Templates etc."  to be honest, this was never intended to be a full CDN backed media/content  management system, it was really intended to make it easy to host a small number of static images that are used primarily in the configuration domain of Hornbill.  To achieve a combination of media sharing with consistent links requires a lot more to be implemented around cache invalidation, link management and so on, that was not really in scope here - its our bad for adding the ability to update an image without thinking this through.  To save any confusion here in the future we are going to remove the "update image" option, so to update an image, you will need to create a new one, then update the place(s) where the image is being used.  

Thanks,

Gerry

12 minutes ago, Gerry said:

@samwoo

" I guess the only issue is what if the same image is being used in multiple places such as on the BPM, Email Templates etc."  to be honest, this was never intended to be a full CDN backed media/content management system, it was really intended to make it easy to host a small number of static images that are used primarily in the configuration domain of Hornbill.  To achieve a combination of media sharing with consistent links requires a lot more to be implemented around cache invalidation, link management and so on, that was not really in scope here - it's our bad for adding the ability to update an image without thinking this through.  To save any confusion here in the future we are going to remove the "update image" option, so to update an image, you will need to create a new one, then update the place(s) where the image is being used.  

Thanks,

Gerry

Thanks @Gerry for the further clarification which all makes complete sense and completely understandable, especially for the removal of that button.

We haven't utilized the Image Library very much yet so don't currently have a process down on how we should be using and managing it but I'm thinking of recording where images are used, in an excel spreadsheet, but will give it more thought.

Thanks,

Samuel

@samwoo

Even the caching issue aside, thats another problem with the updating of an image, if you don't know where you have used the images, you may change things you do not expect!  A spreadsheet does seem archaic though, Hornbill could probably benefit a lot from having a full blown Digital Asset Management (DAM) app, these things are quite common in marketing environments

Tools like these: -

https://www.canto.com/
https://www.bynder.com/en/
https://www.mediavalet.com/

and many others exist.  These are the tools that allow you to organise large amounts of media, share them, create versions and be able to centrally update assets and so on. 

Possibly overkill when you just want to throw a few logo's into an email or portal, which is why we implemented the image library in the first place

Gerry

• Like 1