Send email to co-worker based on capture answer

Alisha

Hello,

I'd like an email to be sent to a co-worker based on what's been selected in the capture in the Search Co-workers Data Query. I have used a custom field in the capture for this field. Is this possible please?

In the Business Process I have used a 'Get User Details' node (where I specify the custom field) before the 'Email Notification'. I have tried using the Email Notification with Co-worker as well as Co-worker (From Variable), with the Manual and Variable drop-down but that hasn't worked.

Many thanks,
Alisha

Data Query.png

@Alisha As always I'd suggest outputting the values to the Timeline during testing - for example; what's the value in the Custom Field once the Process has started? You'll need to ensure that it's matching the input parameter you're using, (User ID, Login ID, or Employee ID)
Once you know that is a suitable match you can use &[global["flowcoderefs"]["userGet"]["email"]] for the recipient's email and go from there.

• Like 1

Hi Alisha,

The Search Co-workers Data Query will return both the user name and the ID.  If you are mapping the custom progressive capture form to the customFieldA, the chances are that the user name is being stored there, rather than their ID.  The Get User Details automation requires the User ID, Login ID, or Employee ID.  The display name would not work.

Rather than using this information from a custom field, you can use the Get Request Information Hornbill Automation to get the outcomes of progressive capture questions.

Step 1.) Add a Hornbill Automation - Get Request Information -> Progressive Capture Answers

image.png

Step 2.) Add a Hornbill Automation - User -> Get User Details

image.png

Step 3.) In the Get User Details User ID option, use the variable picker to select the progressive capture answer that contains the user that was selected using the Data Query

Step 4.) When either injecting or overwriting, be sure to select the Raw Value as seen in the image below.

image.png

I hope that makes sense.  Let me know if you need any help with this.

• Like 1

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Thank you for your help.

I've updated the process as you've suggested but unfortunately I can't get it to work. I may be using the wrong options in the Email Notification. What is the difference between Co-worker and Co-worker (From Variable) and also the Manual and Variable drop-downs? I'm never sure which ones to use!

Many thanks,
Alisha

Email Notifcation.png

Hi @James Ainsworth @Steve Giller,

With a combination of both of your advice, I've now managed to make it work using the 'Email External Address'. Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

However, I'm still none the wiser about the difference between Co-worker and Co-worker (From Variable) and when to use 'Manual' or 'Variable' in the drop-down, if someone could explain that to me please?

Many thanks,
Alisha

Hi Alisha,

I think that the availability of the Manual or Variable options has just come about as the product has progressed.  I think it is safe to say that if a Manual option provides the ability to use the variable picker, then variables can be used and you don't have to use the Variable option.  Some Manual options only provide a pick list and have nowhere to add a variable.  In those cases you would have to use the Variable option. 

Hope that makes sense

• Thanks 1