User Availability Reports?

Josh Bridgens

Hi All,

We are unfortunately having some questions raised regarding the logging of calls... AGAIN.

Can anyone tell me if there is some way to report on the status of a user throughout the day? (ideally in the past)?

This would be fantastic for us to report on.

Josh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

@Josh Bridgens no, no option still... may I ask what exactly is the problem you are facing, perhaps there are alternatives to achieve what you need without relying on this info (user availability)...

I like the way you bluntly put this though.. have a whole range of memes available for your scenario but I have a feeling is not exactly what you would need right now :D

Happy for the memes to flow!

as I am unable to constantly monitor the status of peoples availabilty, some of the team are putting themselves as OOO to stop some auto-log requests to come to them, in return, others are doing the same.

As far as I am concerned if they dont want to work they dont have a job however thats not the ideal way to go about things, with no retrospective on availability I cant really report on it either.

Open to any and all suggestions!

@Josh Bridgens on top of my head, there might be an option to disable changing availability for users... let me run couple of scenarios in my test instances and see what I can come up with

Ideally we should have some sort of functionality implemented here but this won't happen in the short term and short term (i.e. now!) is what I am interested most at this point...

@Josh Bridgens ok, so I found a way but is not the most elegant and has some caveats... it does the job though. Premise: basically when a user status is changed the user record in user accounts table is updated with the new status value. By removing the user access to update this table they won't effectively be able to change it. The caveat is that they won't be able to change any info in their profile. We can achieve this with roles: there are two system roles, which a user has usually, that give update rights to the user accounts table: Collaboration Role and Self Service Role. We can't amend the system roles but we can do is create a copy of these roles, let's call them Collaboration Custom Role and Self Service Custom Role. On custom roles any rights configuration can be amended. What we need to do is that for each of these custom roles we go to Database Rights tab, locate the h_sys_accounts table (usually this is on page 14). For this table, untick the checkbox under the Update column and save the changes.

image.png

Now, for each of the offending users, you can edit the user associated roles and switch role allocation, change the Collaboration Role to Collaboration Custom Role and Self Service Role to Self Service Custom Role. Changes will only take effect if the user is already logged in but they will if the user refreshes the browser or re-log into Hornbill. Whit the new roles in place, when trying to switch the status from what currently is to another, when saving the new status nothing will happen, the new status won't be saved. There isn't any error presented but the save simply does not happen. When changing anything else in the user profile a table access error will be displayed.

Cons of this solution: User won't be able to change anything in their profile and since no one but the user can access their status it will mean the user with teh custom role won't have the status changed. Solutions to this, any user that has to change the status can request access to this meaning you (or an admin) will need to reallocate at least the default Collaboration Role for the purpose of this only.

Pros: You can control who will get this restriction, it can be certain users or all. You can also control who gets to have this back and you can have a record of this (an internal to you) as of who and why requested access to change their status.

Does it help?

P.S. If you try this and if does not appear to work there is a possibility there are some (other) roles in your instance that give this access so we would need to have a look at your roles and see which one does this so we can cater for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, Josh Bridgens said:

Happy for the memes to flow!

as I am unable to constantly monitor the status of peoples availabilty, some of the team are putting themselves as OOO to stop some auto-log requests to come to them, in return, others are doing the same.

As far as I am concerned if they dont want to work they dont have a job however thats not the ideal way to go about things, with no retrospective on availability I cant really report on it either.

Open to any and all suggestions!

If I can be blunt @Josh Bridgens, if you already know they do it, they must do it often enough to adversely affect their output which can be reported on/scrutinised?  I think while the status function is useful for BPMs, it only serves as a digital busy lamp.

I would personally like to see activity reports however to show time spent active on certain pages, how many emails sent from HB etc.  Objectively then you could drill into these to see where time is being burnt whether effectively or wastefully.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...