Copy Calls

Ade M

HI

We have recently transitioned from Supportworks to Hornbill and so far I am very impressed with the user experience of Hornbill.

There was a feature in Supportworks where we could copy calls .  We found this feature useful especially where by there numerous assets on the call as the assets would copy over to the new call.

Having this copy feature would save time and reduce any errors from adding over 200 assets to a call. 

Other wise is it possible to have a bulk load feature for the assets where we could bulk load the assets from a csv or spreadsheet

Thanks

Hi @Ade M

Thanks for your post.

I'm interested in understanding more about how you want to manage assets along side a request.  There are two options for loading assets into Hornbill Asset Management. 

1.) Database Asset Import - This is a powerful tool that is commonly used for scheduled imports which is often linked to other sources such as a discovery tool database.  More information on this can be found here

2.) In Asset Management there is a more basic CSV upload option that is more directed to one off imports of small batches of Assets.  Information on this feature can be found here

These two options only deal with adding assets to Asset Management and not linking them to a request.  But once uploaded to the asset database, they will be available to add to a request.

You mentioned having as many as 200 assets associated to a request.  Is this a case where you have a change request to update a number of assets?  For example you have a change to update the BIOS on all Dell Desktop computers and you want to add all of these to the change request?  Asset Manager does have a concept of "Types" of assets, so I was wondering if rather than adding 200 assets, if adding an asset "Type" would work for you?  Anything else that you can provide about how you want to work with Assets on a request would be helpful.

Regards,

James

Hi James 

Thanks for getting back , I believe we may have used the  Database Assets Import tool to load our assets.  As I mentioned  when we patch we have  one call with all the  assets affected. I  was hoping  to some how bulk load a list of assets into a call , Il Look into using types.    

Will any changes to the TYPES be recorded  and filter down to the individual assets ?  We would be looking to  need this  to be used in Incident management.

Thanks

AdeM

Hi @Ade M

At the moment there won't be any functionality with changes to the Asset Type filtering down to the assets.  I can see that there is a need for some improvements on the Asset Action item of a request, which is way I would like to understand more about how you are using this.  Having a Copy Request only solves part of your problem as you will still need to create the original request .  I would like to start the improving how assets are added to the request in the first place.

There then may be a question of one you have loaded all the assets, how does one know which ones have had the patch and which ones haven't?  We also have some plans for having a calendar on each asset so that you can see any scheduled change for that asset.  Having all the assets rather than just the Asset Type may benefit here, or we need to find a way, as you say, to filter down from an Asset Type down to an Asset.

We may start with an improved way of searching and selecting multiple assets at the same time.  Lots of things we can do here.  Keep your ideas and thoughts coming and we will see what we can do.

Regards,

James

• 2 years later...