Problem with nested parallel processes

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

I've seen this mentioned before, but I can't get this to work...

I'm trying to come out of a nested parallel process, into an automated task, then to the 'outer' nest of the process.

I did have it working without the Automated Task, but as soon as I add the task, it breaks. (I'll add pics as I know this makes no sense!)

this works:

image.thumb.png.d1b40107ae9857b2d700cf52e32fabd9.png

This doesn't:

image.thumb.png.20c6792f40e71fe1a3577c58c4830e4a.png

I've seen on other messages that you have to change the 'order' that you connect the nodes in, but I can't get it to work at all.

Any ideas please?

thanks

@Paul Alexander try it this way: 

image.png.631c27e6ac23a3824ab39296bf532eed.png

I get the feeling that the first end PP is closing down all PP links and then the new node thinks it is totally outside any PP and therefore you cant link to another PP closure. (If that makes any sense at all) 

I put a Get Request Details in so that it doesn't try and add to board three times (don't know if that would cause issues if it is already there) 

Edit: Thinking about it that wont work, sorry. You will need three 'Add to live Board' nodes, one per task to link to the close PP node. I think it 'should' only add it once and cause no further errors but you would need to test to make sure. 

@Victor can you confirm if my theory is correct with the end PP node incorrectly closing down all active PP links?

16 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

can you confirm if my theory is correct with the end PP node incorrectly closing down all active PP links?

I need to have a look first... can't say on top of my head...

16 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

You will need three 'Add to live Board' nodes, one per task to link to the close PP node. I think it 'should' only add it once 

No... The intention here is to have the 3 tasks completed before continuing with "Add on live board" ... if having each task with it's own " Add on live board" means it will add it 3 on the board times, not once... You need to look at a parallel branch as a sort of individual process, a process on it's own that does it's own thing, sort of independently of the main process that is going on, until the parallel processing finishes... if this makes sense...

6 minutes ago, Dan Munns said:

I thought that if a request was added to a board that it wouldn't be added again? Or will it generate an unrecoverable error?

ermm... don't know, to be honest as I haven't tried it nor I know the code behind it... can be any of these... now you made me curious, I'll try it :D ... but what I said about parallel processing stays valid :)

Testing it on one of our much simpler bracketed PP BPMs it does seem to close down all PP on a close node, but strangely you must have a close for each open which would suggest that it somehow tracks the PP that it is currently working in.   

Guest Paul Alexander

What I've found is that these Parallel Processes seem to be fine when you first set them up...the problem seems to happen when you try to ADD something afterwards, and when whatever you're adding is outside and inner process, but inside the outer one which, as @Dan Munns pointed out, suggests that there's some sort of tracking going on which doesn't get updated when you add a node.

This would be something for @NeilWJ to look at ...

15 minutes ago, Paul Alexander said:

the problem seems to happen when you try to ADD something afterwards, and when whatever you're adding is outside and inner process, but inside the outer one which, as @Dan Munns pointed out, suggests that there's some sort of tracking going on which doesn't get updated when you add a node.