Service Manager Update Error

Ralf Peters

Hi Guys,

tried to update our version of service manager this morning which was showing as  build 1048 available  .

got an error  " could not access cache ..."  during update process  , i think i must have hit the update button when you were releasing version 1049 this morning .

when i  now  go to the "app store", the update option is no longer available and it shows running build 1049 , update history only shows build 1033  7th August as last update .

is there a way of checking that the update was applied  successfully ?

Thanks

Ralf

Hi @Ralf Peters

We've had a review of the update log and there were no other errors during the update process which has completed and updated successfully.  

The error you experienced relates to not being able to reload of one the active user sessions, but this should not cause any issues.

Kind Regards,

Dave.

@Ralf Peters You could uninstall and re-install Service Manager by going to the admin tool,  Add More Apps, then uninstall Service Manager from there. Afterwards you can re-install it. You could do this when no one is using it as they may need to log out and log in again. 

regards

Pamela

Thanks for the replies  .

is there  or isn't there a problem with our instance, your answers are not quite clear on that   ?

uninstalling the APP ??, wouldn't we lose our setup ??

just checked some of the new functionality , multi request selection   doesn't seem to be available , app.experimental.multipleRequestsAction is set to ON .

when i select one  request in the service manager request view  i get a new "Action" button that doesn't do anything, select more then one and it disappears again  ?

No new  info( Video pop-up)  from Harry Hornbill either on new features  ??

Thanks

Ralf

@Ralf Peters Earlier you mentioned  "this when i  now  go to the "app store", the update option is no longer available and it shows running build 1049 , update history only shows build 1033  7th August as last update ." I suggested re-installing so that these two places are consistent. From the examples you have given, it sounds like the update may not have been successful.

regards

Pamela

@Ralf Peters Yes I did discuss this with Dave and in hind sight he agrees that it's best to reinstall because it's not normal for you to see the last update as being 1033 from the update history and yet it shows you are running 1049. 

Thanks

Pamela

4 hours ago, Ralf Peters said:

when i select one  request in the service manager request view  i get a new "Action" button that doesn't do anything, select more then one and it disappears again  ?

Hi @Ralf Peters

There are some combinations of selected requests that prevent Actions from being applied to them all.  I believe it is when they are against different Services is one of them.  If you have a View with requests from the same Service, see if you can select more than one and still have the option for the Actions.

Regards,

James

No new  info( Video pop-up)  from Harry Hornbill either on new features  ??

Hi @Ralf Peters

The Harry Hornbill notifications for new features in the main client are usually provided for features that are fairly significant in functionality.  Some changes we provide what we call Nano Training which is a simple popup with an explanation of a new button or item that has appeared on a form or window.  Some changes are more administrative in functionality and these will either be shown in Administration or just described in our wiki.  

I don't recall a Harry Hornbill notice being included in the last couple of updates.

Regards,

James

So if i uninstall   service manager   through the admin site will we lose our setup / history  ?

Just to confirm, when performing an uninstall and a reinstall, all of your data, history, configuration, rights will be maintained.  There may be some disruption with users that are active and after the reinstall the may need to logout and back in again.  There is still some investigation going on from our side, so I would hang on as Pam suggests as it may not be necessary to do this.

Regards,

James

9 hours ago, Ralf Peters said:

is there a way of checking that the update was applied  successfully ?

With each update a log file is created.  If you have concerns about an update not being applied correctly you can always view the logs.  These are  found in Administration under System->Monitor->Log Files.  You should see an entry for a Service Manager update.  You will be looking for entries with the Severity of Emergency, Alert, Critical, and Error.  For items listed as Error, these are not always counted as something that failed as sometimes they are valid errors simply because the update tried to update something that was already updated.  

updatelog.png

Regards,

James

@Ralf Peters While we wait on the investigation, something you can try is reloading the application cache.  This is an option in the App Store under each application.  If there was a problem with the cache during the update as the error message suggests, this might clear out the issue.  After running this you can go back to the multi-select feature on the request list and see if the expected options are visible.

applicationcachereload.png

@Ralf Peters Yes the update button is active again because we resolved the issue of the discrepancy between 1033 and 1049 that you had yesterday. Please go ahead and do the update now. This time when you check the update history it should show you 1049 rather than 1033. As we said yesterday the users will have to log out and log in again.

Thanks for your patience.

Pamela