Version Control on Attachments

Michael Sharp

@Gerry

I think @Michael Sharp is referring to having versioning for attachments upload against requests, very much the same way documents are versioned when you upload to replace an existing one (or when you update one).

I think this is a good idea. +1

For example we have an Change Request form that gets filled out and uploaded to the Change Request. Sometimes it doesn't contain all the information, so we upload the first version to kick off the CAB process. Once we have more information, we add it to the form and re-upload it. But the issue is that we can then eventually get 4 or 5 attachments for each version of the form, alongside other attachments related to a Change Request. This can be a problem when people don't put the version of the form in the title.

We need to keep all the versions of the form in a single place, so having versioning for attachments would be a great idea.

Thanks,

Samuel

@samwoo

Thank you for the clarification, the use case makes perfect sense. 

So why not simply add the document to document manager and attach the document to the request?  thats what document manager is for. 

Perhaps what is needed here is better integration between document manager and service manager rather than re-inventing document manager inside service manager.

Gerry

• Thanks 1

@Gerry / @James Ainsworth

Great news! This is going to be an amazing feature. Thanks for the update.

However for attachments (which are not documentation) this might not work? Unless the plugin will keep attachments againsts requests seperate from Documentation then i think it will work.

Thanks,

Samuel

13 minutes ago, samwoo said:

@Gerry / @James Ainsworth

Great news! This is going to be an amazing feature. Thanks for the update.

However for attachments (which are not documentation) this might not work? Unless the plugin will keep attachments againsts requests seperate from Documentation then i think it will work.

Thanks,

Samuel

I agree, linking in with document manager seems a bit of a faff.  Version control over attachments seems much simpler on the face of it although appreciate from a development point of view, this may be tricky.

Mike.

3 hours ago, samwoo said:

Unless the plugin will keep attachments againsts requests seperate from Documentation then i think it will work.

Hi @samwoo

The attachment options will be maintained.  So there will be a Document Manager plug-in and the existing option for attachments, and they will be kept separate from each other.  The focus of the attachments would be for non-structured documents, screen-shots, ad-hoc uploads from a customer, etc.  The Document Manager plug-in will be for more structured documents for which version control is already a part of. 

Regards,

James

• 10 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @samwoo

The attachment options will be maintained.  So there will be a Document Manager plug-in and the existing option for attachments, and they will be kept separate from each other.  The focus of the attachments would be for non-structured documents, screen-shots, ad-hoc uploads from a customer, etc.  The Document Manager plug-in will be for more structured documents for which version control is already a part of. 

Regards,

James

Did this happen?

Off-topic:
@James Ainsworth Oooooh sneak peak at some new features? :O Curious....

Semi On-topic:
I haven't properly tested the Document Manager request action, but I am assuming at the moment the users themselves cannot access any linked Documents via the Self Service Portal?

20 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @Michael Sharp

Yes, a new Request Action is available for Document Manager.  This is configured under each service.  The Document Manager plug-in can be enabled for each request type by enabling the following action item icon...

image.png

Regards,

James

Excellent thanks, will have a look at this!