BPM wont start

Dan Munns

When I log an incident ticket via the live.hornbill the BPM fails to start (first node is an automated node to assign to the service desk) but it works fine if I log a ticket via the service portal.

I get no error messages and it only seems to effect the incidents as service requests behave as per the BPM.

This seems to only affect me and one of my analysts who is testing with me has no issues. I have changed my roles to match his and I still have the issue.

I cannot see what the issue is and it is slowly driving me mad.

Can someone help me with this urgently as it is stopping me testing incident BPMs correctly.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post. If you aren't seeing any red error pop-ups in the bottom right of the screen, it sounds like the BPM hasn't been associated to the request. This can be confirmed by the existence of the green BPM Heads Up Display (HUD). If this progress bar isn't there, then the BPM hasn't been initiated at all.

It could be a rights issue, but this is unlikely on this occasion given that it sounds like you can access the request itself, although this is a good opportunity to mention that any role changes to your user account will only take effect after you renew your session by logging out and logging back into Hornbill again.

A common one I encounter is in relation to the selection of a service during progressive capture. If the Service form isn't mandatory, or if this form is omitted in the pro cap flow being used, it is of course possible not to select a service or catalog item during the request logging process. BPM's are initiated based on the service or catalog item chosen, if there isn't one selected then no BPM will be initiated.

I hope that helps in some way, but if considering the above points doesn't change your situation, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

The BPM is associated with the incident process. There is no check point list (HUD) and the ticket is just a basic ticket which then has to be assigned to the service desk rather than doing it itself.

All of the requests we have created use custom forms throughout and have no issues. This is the only BPM/ProCap we have issue with and uses default forms.

Is there a way to add a custom form which picks the catalogue service automatically and the user never sees it to get around this issue (if that is the cause as it is only effecting me at the moment). Also none of the other ProCaps have a service select form.

Thanks

Dan

Ok, so I have now added the 'Select Service' form to the ProCap and it now works (and is also the only ProCap with the select service form strangely). However this brings up the point that if the incorrect service is selected the BPM fails. Surely there is a way of doing this. We have one service in the catalogue which can create incidents (all others are requests) and it is the only one we are having issues with.

Hi Dan,

the terminology that you're using is suggesting that you may benefit from attending some of our Hornbill Webinars to help you get a broader view of how the Progressive Capture, Business Process, Services and Catalog items all interact and hang together.

Details of the webinars can be found at https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_Webinars and I would recommend attending the "BPM and Progressive  Capture" and the "Service Catalog and Portals" sessions.

It sounds like your specific issue was indeed due to a Service or Catalog item not being selected during Progressive Capture, which is why the BPM did not initiate.

Thanks,

Dan