Selecting new languages has no effect

I have tried to enable additional supported languages, however none of these are showing as available options in the User Interface Translations nor in the user profile settings.

It makes no difference which language or languages I enable.

Seems you have to log out and log back in to be able to access the new languages in the admin section (or anywhere really).

Spent a good 10 minutes refreshing, clearing caches, etc, before trying the logout and log back in method :(

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your post and good to hear that you have it worked out.  As you have found, languages are loaded as part of a user's session information when they first login.   The only way to refresh this session information is to logout and back in again. 

@Gareth Cantrell

In order to keep performance as good as we can we do an awful lot of caching, sometimes its server state, other times its user session state, and can often be client-side too.  So as a general rule, if something does not appear as you expect it to, its generally worth a) clearing the browser cache, if that does not help, log out and back in again, that will hit pretty much all the caches. 

The supported languages data does not strike me as user cacheable, I expect this is return as part of the core init process (loading the browser of new tab for the first time), so its a bit odd that you had to log out and back in again, so possibly there was some slightly aggressive client-side caching that you may have fallen foul of, logout and back in will tend to reset lots of things client-side. 

Gerry

• Like 1