Previous/next button on request list

Nithan

Hi team, 

I was wondering if there was any possibility of an enhancement for our agents when they are in a ticket to be able to have a previous and next button. We have found the agents need to come back out of the request that they are on, to then select the next one from the main request list

From previous experience, there are other ITSM tools that have this feature

Many thanks, 

Nithan

• Like 2

This has been discussed previously, but no-one has been able to define what the "Next" or "Previous" Request is.

A User can create any number of Views of the Request List and may have access to shared Views created by other Users.
They may Own Requests, be Members or Connections on a Request, and Requests can be assigned to a Team they're a member of.
A Request List View can display almost any column in the Requests table, be ordered by most of these, and a User may have multiple different Views open at any one time.
Finally, these lists are dynamic, so the order of the View may have changed in the background while the current Request was being worked on.

A previous and next button would be useful when viewing all lists in Hornbill.  I am a CMDB analyst and work in asset lists a lot, the ability to click through a list of asset records rather than having to exit each record to open up the next one would be very beneficial and save time.

As mentioned by Nithan, this is a standard feature in other ITSM tools.

Thanks

Gemma

• Like 1

@Nithan @gemma.jones

As you mention, some tools show you the details of a record and then provide a previous/next buttons to zip through the records. The problem is, thats mostly quite a bad user experience, its a hangover from the days old data base programs like MS Access (see screen attached as an example). 

As has been pointed out, the problem with this is what previous and next mean becomes problematic because the source list of things you are browsing are no longer in view, the context of the list is lost and that makes for a pretty poor experience, and not something we would like to replicate. 

Now thinking about what you said here "the ability to click through a list of asset records rather than having to exit each record to open up the next one would be very beneficial and save time.", this I agree 100% with, and, IMHO prev/next buttons would not be the way to do it, a much better way that would deliver a far better user experience would be some kind of split view, so you can have the list of request you are browsing on the left, selecting an asset in the list would show the request properties on the right.  

Its a funny thing that when customers ask for something specific, we often seem to talk about the requirement in the exact form being asked.  By making the point.... "the ability to click through a list of request records rather than having to exit each record to open up the next one would be very beneficial and save time" that gives us options to meet the need without being so prescriptive about how we should go about meeting that need.   I am not directly involved in the product decisions being made in the SM product, but I thought I would post here for your benefit and ours internally too. 

So FWIW I would suggest we could vastly improve on the UI for Requests (and assets and other large lists if items for that matter) by following the modern theme of split view navigation for browsing large data sets. 

Gerry

image.png

Hi @Gerry,

Regarding your last point - this sounds like something that I have requested an enhancement for. Would this suffice and fit the needs of the OP I wonder, where clicking on a request in the list in the sidebar will update the main page (leaving the sidebar open).

@samwoo

As I understand it, there is an item on the roadmap for re-working the request list, it does not appear on the published roadmap for some reason, but yes, this has been discussed previouly, including taking into consideration your previous suggestion.  I am not directly involved with the Service Manager roadmap so I don't have the details, I asked last week that we update the published roadmap with the things we have planned so everyone can see whats coming down the line. 

Gerry

• Thanks 1