Service Catalogue - Changing Service Request to Incident

Damien Lynn

Hi everyone,
Looking for some advice on what you guys are doing in terms of your Service Catalogues - we have quite a lot of specific Service Requests in ours (over 100 now) and it's working well, customers are finding it useful and it's driving up our self service stats too which is great. 

My question for you is this: Do you have a generic Service Catalogue item as a "catch all" for anything else that is not covered by all your other specific catalogue items?  If you do, what did you call it and does it get misused?  We have one called "Other" - What I need is not listed, do you have something like this and if not, how do you handle such requests?  Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to share what they do for this 🙌

This next part will possibly need someone from Hornbill to answer.  We have a situation where we get some of these "Other" tickets above logged where they should actually have been logged as an incident - I tried updating our Business Process and Intelligent Capture for "Other" - What I need is not listed so that it includes some probing questions first and if it's to report something is broken then I was going to jump capture over to our Incident process but after doing so I'm getting error below when I open a ticket, I get RequestTypeMismatch which looks like it's not possible to change a service request to an incident?  Would someone in Hornbill be able to confirm if that is the case or if there is a way around this please?  

Have a great weekend everyone 🍻

image.png.2ee61f21ca748a77a94a1b76660582b5.png

We just have a generic incident and service request process for each service if there is an 'other' possible as we gather data from its use we learn which services are required. 

You can't change a request type categorically. so if you want to switch a process a catalogue item would need to exist under service request and incident as an incident will only be able to use catalogue items for incidents and the same for service requests etc 

Hi Jim, thanks very much for your reply, it will be interesting to see if anyone else out there is doing anything different too.  Sounds like we are doing something very similar to you as we've also been using the "Other" generic service request to help build a picture of what additional specific requests we should be adding and that's worked well in identifying gaps.

Thanks again
Damien

We call ours "Unable to find what you're looking for?"

The original belief was that we would analyse these and create new types to reduce the use of this cat item.

In reality, users have such a HUGE variety of issues you can't ever get rid of it and a generic SR and generic IN is an efficient way to do it

Thanks for your response on this @Berto2002, I agree, there's such a variety of issues and obscure/uncommon requests that come in that I doubt we'll ever get rid of this completely and despite that some people misuse it, we don't want to remove it as an option as it does give us insight into what we should be adding as specific items to the catalogue.

@Damien Lynn In extremely generic terms, "Something is broken" will be an Incident, and "I need something" will be a Service Request, so if you can have a generic one for each and word them suitably for your end users, you should all but rule out the need to swap from SR to IN or vice versa.